Weeeee, look what my lights can do!!

DarkMonkey

Limp Gawd
So I was playing around with my new fan/light controller and I noticed something very odd when I had the sensitivity on low... the lights were blinking to my music!

http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/blinker.wmv

Sorry it's so choppy, I had to run it through 2 different converters to get it from a .mov (stupid kodac cameras) to a .wmv file.

...i've heard that song... metallica off the ...and justice for all album?

cool deal though ;)

most CCFL's come with sound activation built into the convertor.....i can do the same thing with my blue CCFL.....its pretty kewl to turn the lights off and play some music, try playing some CoD or your favorite FPS and turn the bass up.....almost like a light show.

It looks awesome....not to bright, but just enough to give off a nice strobe effect.

Now I know exactly what I'm doing with my next case.... damn you for making me want to spend more money!

im pretty knew at this whole pc building thing. what do i need to make a computer do that!!

You should try playing iron maiden by black sabbath, or maybe Back In Black by AC/DC

On a side note... I'm sure that can't be good for the lights :p

Pulled for you
Shortest straw!

The shortest straw has been pullllledd ffooorrr yooouuu!

That's wicked man!

ok, seriously, what's the controller that you used for that?

I've done some simple modding for silence, but I really was adverse to the whole "light" thing due to the puter being on all the time, and it being in my bedroom,and being insominatic enough already ;), but between that badass effect, and a light controller to turn the lights off, that might very well be worth looking into

you still havent answered my q
what kinda fan controller has that light effect with it?
thanks

honkee said:
you still havent answered my q
what kinda fan controller has that light effect with it?
thanks

Well, he hasn't answered any other questions either, so chance's are he hasn't viewed the forum yet. No need to get impatient. "It's a forum, not a phone call" - snarg

It's the Vantec Light & Fan controller that fits in a 3.5" bay and comes with a pair of 12" blue cathodes. I love it :) It was by far the best $30 I ever spent on my computer. and yes, what's-his-face (Too lazy to look) was right, this is my first time back to the forums since starting this thread. By the way, I originally noticed the effect while I was listening to Human Factor by Metal Church. I just used Shortest Straw 'cause it has a good start-stop intro that shows off the lights quite nicely. ;)

would i be able 2 do that???

imgp09866we.jpg

do i got what i need to do it?

Senturion said:
would i be able 2 do that???

do i got what i need to do it?

My convertor is different then yours...i have a switch and a knob on it to control the sensitivity of the soud activation.

One of my favorite things about the vantec controller is that the connections are all a good inch or so into the drive bay, so you don't have to worry about cables sticking out the back, and they give you extender cables for each fan that are about 18 inches long, very handy for hiding cables.

tidy2.jpg

The red arrow is pointing to the drive bay it's in. You can't even tell it's there :D

This is also different than the other sound activated units I've worked with. The other ones I've worked with simply click on when a certain ammount of noise is generated. This one however, blinks based on volume, the louder the noise, the faster the blinking. The controller lets me switch between off, low sensitivity, high sensitivity, and full on.

HOw many lights can you run off that thing?? Im hoping somethin like 4 but most likely 2.

Only 2, but you can always buy a second one if you want four lights, and I'm thinking of doing just that. You could probably get some even more bad-ass effects that way, have 2 lights set to high sensitivity and the other 2 set to low sensitivity, get some nice light dances going on :)

DarkMonkey said:
Only 2, but you can always buy a second one if you want four lights, and I'm thinking of doing just that. You could probably get some even more bad-ass effects that way, have 2 lights set to high sensitivity and the other 2 set to low sensitivity, get some nice light dances going on :)

Dude, that's an awesome idea.
This thread just persueded me to mod my virgin Chenming 601 lol, window kit here I come. :D

Back