Website Overhaul

CBR

I Show Old Ladies My Dick Wrappers
The company my mom works for has stepped into the digital age and is now requiring a website. The new version was put up a short while ago and quite frankly it sucks. The guy building it does not have the graphics ability to make it professional looking, which I'm told he admits (he's the SysAdmin). It's a small company that does work for the government/military repairing parts and such. The site is found here. I have the graphics ability to make it somewhat professional looking, and he has the coding ability. But the problem is, I've never done any graphics for a website layout, so I don't know how.

I was wondering if someone could recommend somewhere to find decent documentation. I've googled but only found cheap lack luster sites that don't quite cut it for the business world. I've got Photoshop 7 and Image Ready if that helps any. The site will be done using CSS Stylesheets for ease of use. There won't be any flash or animation, just simple and minimalistic. Beyond that I there are no real limitations, just our skills.

I'm thinking the general theme will be military aircraft with blue and silver navbars and frames. I'm open to recommendations, criticism and ideas.:)

First of all, your link doesn't seem to work without a "www".

You need a good, solid, consistent logo to use throughout the site.

"Wednesday, September 16 2004" - If you're trying to tell me what day it is, your script is off, otherwise, what is the date doing here? Not needed in either case, IMO.

A globe. How original. Globes are one of the most "cliched" images on the net.

Make your home page a focus for what the site/business is about, not a "news update".

Fixed the link, didn't know it was broken because I use FF and it redirects.

What you see right now will be entirely torn down and re-done. That isn't even finished but the boss doesn't like it so its going totally.

I have ideas about a logo. Perhaps a vector of a plane flying across and the smoke trail spelling the letters of the business. Or maybe a simple logo with regular text and a plane going across and the smoke trail underlining the text.

I agree that globe is just sitting there.. When Im reading your page I feel like Im being stared at by it.. :p Might I suggest changing it to a more visitor friendly globe??

spinning_globe8.gif

SpinningGlobe3.gif

Or if prefer to create the illusion of movement, might I suggest:

planeglobe.gif

plane1.gif

Whichever you may choose, it will be a improvement to your site.. :)

Back