Website critique: Background mostly

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
Sure, it looks like a lot of other sites out there. It runs on Wordpress with a highly modified theme.

The one thing that bugs me is that I am using a generic "Windows Type" background. I want to change this, but I don't know if I should go with a solid color or a gradient of some sort.

Any one here have any advice on backgrounds? What about the rest of the site?

I would go with a solid blue (similar to the dark blue at the bottom of the background) This will make the center content "pop" and be easier on the eyes IMO.

the gradient fade is nice, keeping it clean usually works best i think so people are not too distracted.

A news site i assume with links to original articles, i do have to ask, what are your plans for the site?

Who are you competing with, and how do you plan to drive traffic to your site, away from sites that already do this?

the gradient fade is nice, keeping it clean usually works best i think so people are not too distracted.

A news site i assume with links to original articles, i do have to ask, what are your plans for the site?

Who are you competing with, and how do you plan to drive traffic to your site, away from sites that already do this?

I am working on more content for the Knowledge Base, Articles and Reviews. Traffic hasn't been too bad for the past 7 years. Sure, I'd like more, but I do agree my original content is lacking.

This is just a new-ish (few months) theme design that I'm not too sure about.

Competition, not too much. I collaborate with other similar sites, we share information and tips. It's a Microsoft centric site, but mostly focused on the Windows client (a small amount on Xbox, Office, Server).

I would go with a solid blue (similar to the dark blue at the bottom of the background) This will make the center content "pop" and be easier on the eyes IMO.

Went with that one. I like it. :)

Thanks!

The layout seems clean and uncluttered. There's a fair amount of startup content, but not much to each content piece -- at least not much that really adds a unique flair for you compared to similar topics/articles in CNet, etc.

Guv already summed up several questions I was going to pose:

Back