Webserver with Apache on Windows

Scheizekopf

[H]ard|Gawd
I have searched and have looked. I used Apache.org and DSLWebserver.com for references.

I've been trying to set up one of my servers also to be a Webserver.

It's running on a Dell SC420 with Windows XP Pro SP2.

It's working fine from within the network.

I tried with everything default and forwarding port 80 to the server. Works from within the network but not from outside.

Then I changed the settings to use port 8888. And I forwarded the port from the router. It works from within the network but not from outside.

I also changed the directory. Added my own Index.html. I also put a folder of pictures. When I try to go to the directory it says I dont have permission.

-------------------------------------
Also after I get it working. . . How do I make directories of folders and give permissions to allow everybody on the Internet to view?

-------------------------------------

Any help is much appreciated. Thank You.

If you can hit port 80 from inside the network, but not from outside it sounds like an issue with the port being blocked..

Try going to www.grc.com and do a shields up scan. See if it shows your port 80 as being open..

for the folders, you want (under the DocumentRoot area in httpd.conf) to have "Options Indexes" or "Indices" or however it is that Apache spells it. It's listed in the comments at that part of the file. Actually, it's about 40 lines down from where DocumentRoot first appears, but they're all related settings.

As for access... what IP is the server bound to? It should be the internal network address. Not your public IP, and not 127.0.0.1. You've probably got this right, but it's easy to doublecheck. Otherwise, I think it's just a firewall issue (I doubt your ISP is blocking 8888).

Well I know my ISP blocks port 80 that's why I changed it to 8888.

I have it set up with a dynamic dns site. xxxxx.dyndns.org

So from within my network I can get to xxxxx.dyndns.org:8888

I have my dyndns.org site tied to my public IP. And then the router forwards 8888 to the internal IP of the server.

Am I missing something?

I have that server running FTP perfect so I know all about port forwarding and setting that sort of stuff up.

I know on firefox if you connect to something with a weird port it would tell you page is down.

KoZLop said:
I know on firefox if you connect to something with a weird port it would tell you page is down.
I'm trying on I.E.

Doesnt work either. I dont think it's the port #.

Back