Websense filtering

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
Ok. So here at work we got people all over Youtube, myspace, facebook, eBay, etc. Bunch of sites that are all accessible from our corporate network of many thousands of users. We support many of these user's in this corporate environment.

So when I'm trying to Google for a solution to fix a particular problem in an application when I need to, I click on some search result link of some IT forum, etc.

All of a sudden I get blocked. Its categorized under "Hacking/Information Technology". Seriously. WTF. I can't find a solution to fix a problem for a user, meanwhile we are allowed to fuck off and browse youtube all day long? I have been blocked access to MANY forums for troubleshooting help.

Have any of you guys seen this? What in the hell is the point of websense if you're gonna allow access to every fuck around site and when it comes to me trying to find work, I GET BLOCKED. I've used proxies to work around it and they do work, but really, what is the point of websense? They categorize lottery sites under "Gambling", and get this, Hardforum under "boards/Productivity" :rolleyes:

Is shitty implementation of Websense a common sighting?

Depends how it is configured... I've seen it work well. My guess is you aren't the one in control of it, so you are SOL.

No, they decide to break up IT support into a shitton of different departments, some even overseas so when it comes time to assign a "package" to a user (software installed off the network using our form of software distribution) that process could take days.

Needless to say I've been looking elsewhere for work, but I'm not trying to make that the point of the thread at the moment.

Back