Webpages timing out w/m0n0wall...

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
M0n0wall for the most part is a pretty decent firewall with a few issues of its own. I don't know if this is m0n0wall's fault or not but packet shaper seems to be hit or miss, sometimes the upload speeds are infact limited to the speeds I set and then other times its like it's not even enabled at all and during those times, putting a cap on the 'bulk' upload seems to alleviate the issue..... Normally however bittorrent's traffic is relegated to 'hated' upload/download on a specified port range I have and that hated bandwidth is around 400Kb/s. But sometimes that limit seems to be superceded and I'll get uploads in excess of 1000Kb/s which kills the connection effectively.

Another problem that has gotten worse is the webpage time out. I had two 3com ethernet cards in the firewall when I first started out, one of the cards according to m0n0wall was having errors but worked nonetheless. Web pages didn't time out very often but occured probably a few times a day. So I purchased some Intel Pro 100 ethernet cards off ebay and installed them, it appeared to work with out a hitch... However now I've noticed that webpages time out much more frequently, like 20 times a day, its occuring so often that it's really starting to bother me...

There is one thing I believe could cause this, I have certain IP addresses of known advertising companies set on reject instead of block as to supposedly automatically stop connecting opposed to constantly retrying...

This problem seems to be more of an issue with sites I haven't visted before than sites I've already been to though it's still a problem with those sites...

Any help?

I changed the maximum number of connections settings in firefox and I'm hoping this fixed this issue. This would lead me to believe that m0n0wall has been limited to the number of connections it can do simultaneously as I do have bittorrent running in the background, while it isn't sucking all of my internet bandwidth, it is however doing something with the connections I believe.

Is there some sort of way to monitor how many simulataenous connections there are or something like that? Either via m0n0wall or some other software program for checking just locally at the minimum?

Back