Webcast: Windows 8 Launch

Did anyone else notice that the Steves both stuttered a little and verbally hesitated when they mentioned keyboards and mice? It was one of the few parts of the presentation that wasn't smoothly delivered. You could read a lot into the psychology of the people by noting the verbal hesitation.

Did anyone else notice that the Steves both stuttered a little and verbally hesitated when they mentioned keyboards and mice? It was one of the few parts of the presentation that wasn't smoothly delivered. You could read a lot into the psychology of the people by noting the verbal hesitation.

Yeah, but you have to feel for the guy... I mean he's basically a turnip with arms and legs.

Did anybody actually listen, and hear Ballmer list any reason enterprise customers would want Windows 8? I listened, but all I heard about Win8 and enterprise amounted to about 15sec of BIG NOTHING! This is where Win8 will simply not exist. Windows 7 will dominate business environment for years to come, unless MS realizes that Modern UI is a crap-shoot for corporate environment... There is lots of money at stake here, and if MS tries to "deep-throat" Modern UI to enterprise , they're about to lose a lot of it ($$$)!

Wow, Apple really is the best... at presentations.

Holy cow that was boring. Seemed like the woman was trying to pin that new york panorama to her start screen, and failed...

Yeah, but you have to feel for the guy... I mean he's basically a turnip with arms and legs.

Well the first Steve did it too...a lot. Oh and turnip with arms and legs....haha! Though, really, I kinda like Steve Ballmer. He's an okay guy as long as you don't mind all the sweat and the rambling about developers.

Wow, Apple really is the best... at presentations.

Holy cow that was boring. Seemed like the woman was trying to pin that new york panorama to her start screen, and failed...

Yup, that was a total fail at pinning something that they kinda glossed over. :)

everyone at my work says "skip a generation" until they get it ride.

windows 98/2k era > ME (skip) > xp > vista (skip) > win7 > win 8 (skip)

If the mac geeks make fun of it and the windows users hate it, its not a win.

what it will win is a foot in the door for tablets/touch screens which is their vision of the future.

if they got rid of two control panels/system menus that would be nice too. you basically have to memorize how to support the metro and tradition win7 desktop in the background which is a nightmare.

I didn't watch it, but it had to be better than the last couple apple love fests. At least when Steve Jobs was doing them you know if a demo didn't work right someone was going to lose an arm the next day.

The apple keynotes are boring as hell.

windows 98/2k era > ME (skip) > xp > vista (skip) > win7 > win 8 (skip)

That was quick, usually people spew that nonsense later in the thread.

if they got rid of two control panels/system menus that would be nice too. you basically have to memorize how to support the metro and tradition win7 desktop in the background which is a nightmare.

This is true. They need a single control panel, among other things. Right now, they are two distinct UI's. You have to remember which one you're trying to customize or where you are in one. That will get fixed soon, I expect.

I think W8 is great. For tablets and mobile devices. Otherwise on a desktop the Modern UI is absolutely retarded. I can't use it well with my monitors because they have no touch input. I think Microsoft will get a bigger market share for mobile devices but will probably not get any growth in the desktop space. I think for desktop work station uses almost everyone will stay on 7, I know I will.

Well the first Steve did it too...a lot. Oh and turnip with arms and legs....haha! Though, really, I kinda like Steve Ballmer. He's an okay guy as long as you don't mind all the sweat and the rambling about developers.

Oh I have no hate for him, he's just a big goofball is all. I used to call him 'Barney' back in the old days because he reminds me of the kids dinosaur. Just a big bumbling doofus!

I didn't watch it, but it had to be better than the last couple apple love fests. At least when Steve Jobs was doing them you know if a demo didn't work right someone was going to lose an arm the next day.

They're not boring, they're just eye-rollingly exaggerated, and truly do make each product sound magical. Like Fusion Drive... Oh you mean Intel Smart Response Technology? "The Fastest Mac Ever"... yeah, typically when you put a new generation of Intel processors in something, they're probably going to be faster than the last ones.

That being said, Apple's marketing people actually seem like marketing people, not nerds. Sure Apple's feeding you BS, but it looks so pretty!

i didn't watch the win8 presentation, but the Surface presentation going on right now is somewhat impressive.
The way they present the different ways you can use it is convincing, but I still wouldn't pay $500 for it.

So far watching the surface demo's live I am impressed. I am going to pick one up for work.

I am also impressived with the Surface. looking up the specs now. Might buy one for my mom.

Keyboard and the mouse are No 1.

I think W8 is great. For tablets and mobile devices. Otherwise on a desktop the Modern UI is absolutely retarded. I can't use it well with my monitors because they have no touch input. I think Microsoft will get a bigger market share for mobile devices but will probably not get any growth in the desktop space. I think for desktop work station uses almost everyone will stay on 7, I know I will.

its not retarded in the living room. As a matter of fact, i would rather prefer windows 8 on my studio computer rather than any other of windows on the Big screen TV, living room comfort status. The new UI makes for ease of use in this situation. faster loading times, and the original interface is also present. I dont see a problem with that. If it is other funtions or methods that people prefer, i am sure they will modify there software in future releases to accommodate for there users, and personal experience.

^ also wireless keyboards and mice, or using kinect as another option of navigation is great in the living room. not to mention other options to be ran through the PC. WINTV, Jukeboxin mp3,.pictures, family activity, to school work, busniess, gaming.....the PC needs to break out of the office and the rooms...it needs to become a massive stuido hub in the living room.

I enjoyed both presentations and will probably pick one up tomorrow at the Microsoft Store that is opening here for the holiday season.

Presentation was good except for the woman presenter. I don't know who she was, but she came across as an idiot who didn't know what she was talking about, or was a very poor public speaker.

That said, I'll be picking up a touch Zenbook as soon as they are available.

I'm kind of surprised that they've not integrated kinect into win 8 for the desktop would seem to be a decent combination of relatively horrible projects into one somewhat useful system...

you could still use the mouse/keyboard for real work and crap interface with kinect, probably just want to abandon the desktop though is my guess..

I'm kind of surprised that they've not integrated kinect into win 8 for the desktop would seem to be a decent combination of relatively horrible projects into one somewhat useful system...

you could still use the mouse/keyboard for real work and crap interface with kinect, probably just want to abandon the desktop though is my guess..

I'm a bit more optimistic on that front. Adding a Kinect capabilities to the OS would be awesome. But, as it stands, the Kinect for PC is a forgotten product. People hacked the Xbox version and it made some news and people were making some awesome programs. Once the PC version came out, everything died. If there were some killer ideas for PC, I'm sure that I'd own one. But, there really isn't any use for a Kinect on PC or tablet yet.

I'm a bit more optimistic on that front. Adding a Kinect capabilities to the OS would be awesome. But, as it stands, the Kinect for PC is a forgotten product. People hacked the Xbox version and it made some news and people were making some awesome programs. Once the PC version came out, everything died. If there were some killer ideas for PC, I'm sure that I'd own one. But, there really isn't any use for a Kinect on PC or tablet yet.

I could see 10-foot control of the windows metro UI being really simple for a kinect controller.

They're not boring, they're just eye-rollingly exaggerated, and truly do make each product sound magical. Like Fusion Drive... Oh you mean Intel Smart Response Technology?
It isn't Smart Response. SRT is a caching mechanism, where file locality is either hard disk or both SSD/hard disk, but Fusion's a little different. Fusion doesn't back to hard disks, so the sum of the solid state and hard drive is addressable.

Agreed. Jobs was occasionally pretty entertaining, but Cook is all business. As a result, things have gotten overly dry.

Where is the surface PRO?
Oh, you mean the one most people seem to want? That's for later.

I am also impressived with the Surface. looking up the specs now. Might buy one for my mom.
This video sold me on the surface. I was about 60% of the way there. I don't have a laptop but I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I wouldn't mind ditching the galaxy for this.

Oh, you mean the one most people seem to want? That's for later.

I coulda sworn that I saw the desktop during that presentation. I thought desktop was only on pro versions?

I coulda sworn that I saw the desktop during that presentation. I thought desktop was only on pro versions?

The desktop is still present on the RT, it is just limited to MS Office and a few other MS apps. It's clunky, but makes sense once you use it, since you want the Office apps and the taskbar to be the same.

I could see 10-foot control of the windows metro UI being really simple for a kinect controller.

Kinect for PC has the close-view (kind of like a zoom feature) so you can be 2-3 feet away and it will capture you.

Probably good for a HTPC, too.

Kinect for PC has the close-view (kind of like a zoom feature) so you can be 2-3 feet away and it will capture you.

Probably good for a HTPC, too.

The HTPC is what I was thinking about. Having used a WIN 8 PC with a good trackpad, the touchscreen is really not necessary. The trackpad gestures work really well.

lol, could you imagine a lecture hall full of college students all waving at their computers?

that pic on the [H] front page, with the presenters in shadows, is utterly perfect and reminds me of just one thing: David Byrne - Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime:

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?" :)

To hazard a guess... waiting for Haswell ULV chips.

Unlikely, Haswell isn't due until Q3 2013, well after the Surface launch. The Surface Pro CPU is supposed to be a modified Ivy Bridge, similar to what Intel has done for Apple before.

It does but you're still stuck with RT's limitations...aka no x86. However you can stick a USB drive in there and in the desktop copy stuff to the RT thing's drive that way so that's neat.

Man, just watched the keynote. Embarrassingly bad.
These Keynote things have gotten out of hand. boring and self-serving.

How did we get here? We used to just have EXPOs where people would announce their wares. Now everyone is throwing themselves on stage and looking stupid.

I think I am going to do this next time I change toilet papers. I will make a stage and a few banners and handouts showing hip asians with a roll of the new paper. Get a wireless mic and pace back and forth telling of toilet paper statistics and how the old TP was good, but this new TP is going to make you wet yourself and then it is going to wipe you.

How did we get here?

Steve Jobs. He was the charismatic CEO/hands-on leader/dictator that could get up on stage and speak about his products to the consumer. Everyone else felt like they had to follow suit. Ballmer is a good counterpoint to the Jobsian/Cooks style, but everyone else looks dumb.

I miss J. Allard. I think he was the best of all of them.

Back