Webapps for the enterprise

Frobozz

[H]ard|Gawd
At work we have had users requesting that we deploy "trendy" and "hip" webapplications like blogs and such. One of my personal crusades in life is to try to keep as many systems as possible on the same username/password base so I don't spend most of my time reseting passwords and monitoring a dozen identity bases. However, I repeatedly find very useful software lacking in features to this end. IMO, the more applications with LDAP support, the more use open source software will get in the corporate and university environments.

One of my favorite projects to follow has been Plone. It has a very professional development group, as well as support for LDAPS. My only wish is for some of the modules to get more developers onboard to speed them along. (quills, quotas, etc..)

Sooo.. What (web)applications do you feel have the polish, support, and features to be a useful tool in a large scale environment?

(don't feel like you have to limit yourself to opensource/freeware)

Frobozz said:
Sooo.. What (web)applications do you feel have the polish, support, and features to be a useful tool in a large scale environment?

the ones that i write :D

seriously though, i write a lot of web apps for work, and they are all focused on making some type of tedious or repetitive task much easier. stuff like client tracking systems, work request and status monitoring apps, surveys, resource allocation systems, etc, etc...

the point i'm making is i don't think there is any one generic tool out there that can clearly address the specific needs of any given corporation, since their needs can be so varied. i tried setting up some off the shelf web software a few times, but spent more time hacking and kludging them to fit our needs that i often wished i'd just done it myself, which i've ended up doing a few times.

that just my experience though, others may differ.

Back