Web Server Question

I have a computer that I would like to use as a server to host a web page and email. I am new to the networking scene. I would like to know if it would be possible to host my own web page and domain name. Thanks, John

Yes, you can. Provided you have a sufficient internet connection to the server. Most DSL/cable in home installations is insufficient for most purposes, from a bandwidth and a TOS standpoint (check with your ISP to make sure servers are allowed).

Ideally, a server will be running Apache under some form of unix/linux. You an, however, run it under Windows, although Windows is far inferior in capability to the unix/linux systems in regard to web hosting, and especially security. If you do choose to host under windows, be sure that only port 80 (or whatever port you choose) is allowed to be open externally.

For the server software, Apache Group makes the best software. It is by far the fastest, most secure, and most extensible. It has the largest support base, due to its open source nature.

The version you need is here:http://mirrors.combose.com/apache/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.0.50-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

This is a brief and general overview. Feel free to post any specific questions in regard to what you will be doing with this server.

For a small personal site Cable/DSL will be fine, whether or not it meets the TOS (who cares anyways they never have said anything to me) I don't know. I would reccommend Apache though. And as for OS, pick what you are comfortable on. Don't let people tell you that you can't run Apache or a webserver without a *nix variant.

Stinger836 said:
For a small personal site Cable/DSL will be fine, whether or not it meets the TOS (who cares anyways they never have said anything to me) I don't know. I would reccommend Apache though. And as for OS, pick what you are comfortable on. Don't let people tell you that you can't run Apache or a webserver without a *nix variant.
Ditto, and this applies for virtually any other server software that might come up (PHP, Perl, SQL, Python, mail servers, and so forth). They'll all run fine under Windows, and if you're more comfortable with that, stick with it. For example, my in-house server that I develop on is a Win2K box, but my main host is on a Linux box. Between native filesharing and a better grasp of windows in general, I find it to be much easier to deal with. Just be prepared to read through config files instead of GUIs.

Also, as noted, a basic web site (even if a TOS violation) won't raise much, if any, ire with your provider. It will, however, be inadequate for hosting an mp3 collection or the like (which would attract unwanted attention).

Let's see... as far as domain name, godaddy.com is the consensus favorite in the webmastering subforum. You can then either have them (or whoever you register with) point the domain to your IP (though that can change occasionally if you're on DHCP, which you probably are) or use something like DynDNS to help keep the domain synced with your IP.

An alternative to hosting it yourself is to just get a simple webhost (which is what I did because my rented cable modem doesn't support port forwarding). Decent hosts can be had for about $5-8 a month, which isn't far off from getting a static IP from most ISPs. Yes you can do it all yourself, but if it means soaking up your own bandwidth, dealing with ToS issues should you get caught, etc. IMHO its often easier to just get a cheap hosting service. The only thing I'd like to do myself is to have my email server in-house. But that's just for my personal privacy preferences. But then again, that's why they make S/MIME and PGP.

Looking back at it, I think the only reason I really hosted my stuff myself was for the wow factors/impressing friends. I never really liked my bandwidth being gobbled up like it was when my family were downloading pics and vids of my boy, or when incoming mail with large attachments would hit my mail server.

Just wanted to point out the other side of the coin. (hosting it yourself may save you a couple of dollars, but it will still cost you in other areas)

As for the name registrar, GoDaddy and Directnic are my favorites. Godaddy is cheaper, but Directnic has tons of included perks that you would be charged for if you were to get them from Godaddy.

Back