• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

web server on a G4?

The-Hole

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 14, 2004
Messages
92
I need a new web server. I have a spare G4 533 laying around.
Question.
Is OSX server worth it? or is there a PPC build of BSD Unix, or another option.

I need PHP 5, MySql, DNS, the works.

What are my options.

I ask as I heard OSX server sucks, that it is slow.
 
OS X Server isn't slow, but you can run a web server off of regular OS X. PHP, and mysql work fine. You can use just about any free unix DNS or other app in OS X.
 
Server will probably run fine, my buddy runs a low traffic server off a 400 something MHz G4.
If you can afford Server 10Client, get it.
It makes administration a breeze (Most of the time)
 
So, is it hard to learn? I am sure it has all sorts of features that I am not used to. previous servers ran Free BSD, and even then it was kinda sorta easy.

I just wont by a PC when I have a perfectly good G4 I can use for it.
 
OS X Server is really simple to use, until you get into the Open Directory stuff. Everything else though is crazy easy.
 
The-Hole said:
So, is it hard to learn? I am sure it has all sorts of features that I am not used to. previous servers ran Free BSD, and even then it was kinda sorta easy.

I just wont by a PC when I have a perfectly good G4 I can use for it.

there are serveral BSD/linux distros avalible for PPC.

And apple makes just darwin avalible for free too, so if you are familier with BSD (as stated) that should be a breeze
 
ShimmyT said:
OS X Server is really simple to use, until you get into the Open Directory stuff. Everything else though is crazy easy.

The Gui confuses me. i suppose, that if I want to use it, I should just pick up a book.

Or, maybe I should just go with BSD instead. :)
 
Don't bother with a GUI unless you really want one, all that can be done from a text based thing.

You could try some BSD builds out there, and also I know Gentoo linux will support the PPC, so I might try those.
 
I'm running OSX Tiger server atm on my G4. It runs fine, and its probably one of the most fun servers I ever worked with. It can be as complicated or easy as you want it. I love it personally....I'm going to start playing with Open Directory integration with other servers after I build my new Dual Opteron Box next month :cool:
 
The GUI is actually pretty easy to use without having to drop into the terminal. Once you get into directory services though the GUI is a lot less helpful. Well at least what i've had to do with it. A really good website for you OS X Server guys: http://afp548.com/
lots of good info and write ups there. Hell they even helped me integrate Active Directory and OS X
eek.gif
 
ShimmyT said:
The GUI is actually pretty easy to use without having to drop into the terminal. Once you get into directory services though the GUI is a lot less helpful. Well at least what i've had to do with it. A really good website for you OS X Server guys: http://afp548.com/
lots of good info and write ups there. Hell they even helped me integrate Active Directory and OS X
eek.gif

Definitely an exceleent site and I've referenced it alot myself. Check it!
 
Back
Top