• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

web photo gallery?

bpimmerman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Messages
1,067
I used Gallery(free on sourceforge) for a while when i was running my own webserver. now that I'm not I don't have access to mysql as far as i know, so i'm looking for something else. I used photoshop to get a quick gallery, but I want something that is more customizable.

thanks for any suggestions...website is: http://www.immerman.net

 
I don't think Gallery needs MySQL. I've looked over the requirements page and confirmed this, but there might be add-ins or something that do need the database. It does, though, need ImageMagick or NetPBM, but these needn't be installed site-wide and can be local to your account.
 
gallery 1x does not need mysql, though you do need php. the next big release, version 2, will require mysql
 
oh. well color me purple. I'll have to give it a try. I have full php access. hmmm...

Thanks a lot.
 
tim_m said:
gallery 1x does not need mysql, though you do need php. the next big release, version 2, will require mysql

When's the next release due? And what types of things will it include (i.e., why the need for MySQL)?
 
carl67lp said:
When's the next release due? And what types of things will it include (i.e., why the need for MySQL)?
I can't really answer your questions, but I can offer some related information. Gallery 1.x is very stable, widely used, and still under very active development. They plan to keep working on 1.x at the very least until 2.0 comes out, and probably for some time afterward. The 2.0 project is a complete rewrite from the ground up. I assume they realized at the outset that they would only be able to accomplish their goals if they could count on database connectivity. If you look at the feature matrix for 2.0, you'll see they've got a lot of ambitious plans. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any direct comparison to the 1.x project. I couldn't find a projected release date for 2.0, either, but there's a lot of high-level documentation here which may be worth poking around.

For what it's worth, I've been running Gallery 2.0 alpha-something for a couple of months now (website in sig) and have had no problems that weren't due to PHP 5.0.x being buggy. I'm not using a lot of the more complicated features like the commerce module, comments, watermarking, and so on, but it's a great system even for a simple gallery. I really wish I'd gotten on board earlier.
 
Back
Top