web/mail/mysql/ftp/

secure.boy

Limp Gawd
i'm looking for open source OS for web/mail/mysql/ftp server ?
i want to put one machine in data center so i'm looking for stable OS?
and management solution for free
ispconfig/webmin or what?

the machine has 4gb ram, 2 DC 2.4 xeon, and raid 5 sas hdd, dual psu

Are you planing on shared hosting or is this just going to be for yourself? Either way for the OS I would suggest CentOS 5. If this is going to be for a shared hosting environment take a look into getting a license for cPanel, it's a decent control panel interface that shouldn't cost you too much but has quite a few features.

Are you planing on shared hosting or is this just going to be for yourself? Either way for the OS I would suggest CentOS 5. If this is going to be for a shared hosting environment take a look into getting a license for cPanel, it's a decent control panel interface that shouldn't cost you too much but has quite a few features.
thank you for your replay ;)
i'm planing to offer like service (that would be shared hosting)
if i go with CentOS and what should i install for management for quota/users/dns/mail i mean
for free non comercial?

freebsd 6.2 or 7 when it releases, and webmin to control it, cant be much simpler :)

webmin of course :) very simply built from ports

webmin can manage your mysql server or you can use phpmyadmin to manage it

but the cool part about webmin is it can mange your apache stuff, mysql stuff, ftp and so forth, modules for everything :)

And of course OpenSolaris...

And It's got a hell of a support community.

If you really are as much of a beginner as you sound like, you should do a LOT of reading before you try this endeavor. You will quickly find yourself way over your head.

Back