Web dev with Least typing?

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Excluding regex, which useful form(s) of programming require the most thinking and least typing?

Someone I know suggested MySQL Aggregates + Statistics.
Are there any options that require even less?

I listened to a podcast about 'R' yesterday. I'm guessing that R might be pretty content dense. Or maybe some of the functional languages? Or assembler (maybe not dense, but definitely makes you think)

It just seems ridiculous. I mean - with the right IDE you can short cut some typing with helper functions, importing snippets, or keyboard commands.. but I seriously doubt there is any "with minimal typing" language as projects vary.

Why not use Alexa or Cortana and go speak to text?
Alternatively find a better typing position for your hands?
Check an alternative career and move into a more team lead role?

It just seems ridiculous. I mean - with the right IDE you can short cut some typing with helper functions, importing snippets, or keyboard commands.. but I seriously doubt there is any "with minimal typing" language as projects vary.

Why not use Alexa or Cortana and go speak to text?
Alternatively find a better typing position for your hands?
Check an alternative career and move into a more team lead role?

Hmm, voice to text might be feasible with MySQL - nice!!
With php, which is what I did primarily, it would be ridiculous. Still need to use keyboard to move up, left, down, right in the document - and can you imagine speaking LEFT BRACKET, etc..
I have an external numpad, to which I can bind text/shortcuts.... :)

I've had probably over a hundred visits with OT. My ergonomics are pretty darn good. Excellent suggestion, though.

Already moving into two other careers, but I'm trying to get funds from this 'til I finish them. (I do portrait photography, and I'm about to start school for psychology; need to be able to pay for Psy.D if I go that route :eek: )

With Visual Studio, for example, there is a lot of Intellisense and hotkey combinations to use. Addon products, such as ReSharper, expose even more quick optimizations.

I wouldn't call Regex as "a form of programming", though.

Last edited:
With speech to text, you can train it to do whatever you want. Setting it up that way takes a while as you have to "correct" the library to output what you want it to though.

For example, Left Bracket could be LB

Just for fun I guess I'd say Angular JS front end with a node.js backend that does nothing but fetch records from MongoDB. This avoids having to write any database schema (because you do that on the access layer), node.js can host Restful web services with very little typing and Angular uses model binding for everything so don't need any wire-up code.

One of my friends who is a programmer, suffered a repetitive strain injury a few years ago and now uses Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which can be set up for programming somehow. Maybe that's an option for you?

LOL @ the APL, lack of available libraries makes that a complete non-starter.

Last edited:
Back