Web design

anvl

n00b
My dads looking to make a webpage for himself but he needs some software, he's tried Frontpage but it doesn't offer enough features. Recommend anything?

Most good software will cost a few hundred $. Why not have him look up html coding tutorials or hire someone to do it?

First you'll need to determine what your dad wants to get out of the website.

List what the intentions are and what features he is looking for. I am sure we can point him in the right direction at that point. There is no need to spend $300 on something that freeware could possibly provide.

Any text editor will do if you are able to code it yourself. If a WYSIWYG solution is more of what you are looking for, I would suggest Dreamweaver too. In fact, I code everything by hand, but I still use Dreamweaver's code view because I like the word coloring and auto indentions.

Most good software will cost a few hundred $. Why not have him look up html coding tutorials or hire someone to do it?

x2 - If you do decide to hire a web designer, they will know all of the questions ahead of time to ask so that you don't have to fumble around in your brain for questions.

If your new to web programming, I would leave it up to a professional and NOT try any WYSIWYG editors no matter what. Even if you make the page look good the code will be horendous and incompatible with atleast 1 browser I'm sure.

Yeah, because if frontpage doesn't offer the "features", it means he wants to do something that is probably semi-complex coding wise, and thus will have problems somewhere in some browser or OS unless someone who knows what they are doing does it.

You can try a demo of dreamweaver, but it will only give you 30 days.

In fact, I code everything by hand, but I still use Dreamweaver's code view because I like the word coloring and auto indentions.
Ditto. Even if you never touch the Design view, however, there are some valuable tools for asset management and the built-in O'Reily reference material is pretty handy. And let's not forget the new and extremely impressive CSS browser issue checker (which is worth the $399 price tag alone, in my opinion).

All free...

GiMP to design the interface
Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 Demo (30 days)
Google for tutorials

I'll have him try the dream weaver demo and the other software you guys suggested. Thanks

Back