Web Design Critique

jenkins

Limp Gawd
Ok - I have been looking at these for two long to make an unbiased judgement.

Which of these two are better?

gold.jpg

beta.jpg

the second one.. I find the gray vertical bars on the first one to be really distracting

I'm going with the second one, although neither has its links laid out nicely. Links in paragraph form are awful to me, and in the first layout the links have no distinction save for different colors.

To be brutally honest they're both over designed and your choice in text isn't great for what you're doing. Check some professional computer repair companies, you want to come off as professional not have a really flashy website.

The second is the better of the two, but neither give the feeling of any of the following ideas: professional, experienced, industry minded, customer centric, etc.

Okay - here's another. I know y'all are getting sick of it - but here it is anyways.

alpha2.jpg

The white is more professional, but the bottom of the lion is cut-off and the segment below it is a mess.

Okay - here's another. I know y'all are getting sick of it - but here it is anyways.

getting better. that whole blue section beneath the logo is too big and the background is distracting. I think you need to make the lion like 66% smaller, so its a nice unobtrusive logo, and get rid of all that busy work below it.

getting better. that whole blue section beneath the logo is too big and the background is distracting. I think you need to make the lion like 66% smaller, so its a nice unobtrusive logo, and get rid of all that busy work below it.

This about sums up my thoughts, too.

Thanks for all the criticisms guys. It's helping. Tear it apart, cause whatever you see wrong is something the customer won't.

Hows this?

beta2.jpg

Getting better. The lion needs to be smaller. I'd like to see the whole lion. I don't like the bottom divs, especially with the white gap between them. They stick out, probably because they look out-of-place.

The blue section with the damaged PC just seems to stand out at me, and not blend.

Maybe if the color was toned down a little bit? Also, are you doing this in Photoshop?

Not a fan of the new text you used. Making the right side of the broken PC white did the trick. Bottom looks good, but I'm not sure what I like with the logo.

Lookin' good.

Also, where are you getting your pictures from?

I didn't change the fonts... just made 'em bigger.

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm getting them mostly from sxc.hu & istockphoto.The handshake the computer are from istockphoto. Everything else is from sxc.hu, which is free which makes me happy.

still on the fence with the logo, maybe it should just have a plain white background? i dunno.
as for the text, it seems a little too compacted, try adding some line-height to make it breathe a bit.

Designs are starting to look more professional and organized. I prefer the first image in post # 14.

The massive broken PC at the top sticks out like a sore thumb, pulling the eyes of the readers directly to it instead of to the solutions you offer.

Perhaps making the broken computer less obtrusive and bumping it down to the bottom would help. I'd leave most of the text next to the broken computer near the top, except for something like "Don't let this happen to you, use Jenkins Consulting instead" kind of line (which should stay with the busted PC).

Also make the lion a bit smaller.

I want to make websites like this...but I am a noob and only know basic forum based HTML commands....sigh.

Just a quick comment: Switch the locations of the broken computer image and text. Since we read from left to right, the first time I looked at the design I read the text, then saw the image of the broken computer. Swap them so that the image is on the left. We will see the broken computer, then read the text associated with it. It makes more sense and will have much more of an impact that way.

Also, go back to the font style/size you were using earlier. The new font is too big and distracting.

Back