Web Browser Won't Display

vwild2002

Weaksauce
I have a Linksys Router connected to a 16 port DLink switch. I set an ip address of 192.168.1.10 on the laptop sub: 255.255.255.0 gate: 192.168.1.1. I can ping the router, I can also ping google.com. But when I open Internet Explorer I just get an error when I try to go to www.google.com. I have a second computer that connects fine this computer gets its address from the routers DHCP. Does anyone have any ideas I have set the explorer back to defaults. Also I have check the connection settings and they are set for the LAN.

Thanks

So you hard coded your ip / subnet / gateway, but did you also put in your DNS server addresses in the ip configuration? If you want to know what they are you can get them from the router, or go to the computer that is working and go to the DOS prompt and type ipconfig /all (assuming it is running Windows 2K or XP).

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

Secondary : 207.179.130.3

However the DNS settings would have to be working for me to ping google.com

because it has to resolve the name google.com. In other words I am not ping an ip address I am pinging the name.

Is IE set to work offline? What are your connection settings set for the browser?

I don't know what options are reset in the browser, but you can go to Tools -> Internet Options. On the program tab there is an option to Reset Web Settings.

The settings are not set to offline and I have rest the settings to default.

It was on the old setup before the router was installed but I did go into tools> internet options> connections> LAN settings and removed the proxy server option that was used on the old system.

Back