Web-Based Malware Infections Rise Rapidly

HardOCP News

[H] News
This article says that the number of web sites hosting malicious software has increased at an alarming rate. According to this, the number of infected sites is two times as much as previously estimated. At this rate, it won't be long before clicking on a web link will make you spontaneously combust.

More than 640,000 Web sites and about 5.8 million pages are infected with malware, according to Dasient, which was founded by former Googlers to offer services to help Web sites stay malware-free and off blacklists.

Sh!t. I just saw a variant of AntiVirus 2010 on a client's PC yesterday. WTF. Already. Damn their fast.

dude .......new virus's/malware comes out daily!!! malwarebyts updates twice a day everyday!!! thats how bad it is.

That is the worst one out there right now IMO. Newer variants of it actually screw with file permissions. Try to run a tool from a directory and boom you are no longer owner and cant see anything in it.

dude .......new virus's/malware comes out daily!!! malwarebyts updates twice a day everyday!!! thats how bad it is.

Ran across another one today where it deletes mbam.exe (malwarebytes) the moment you install malwarebytes.:mad:

I'm getting 20 tickets a week for this crap now.

They need to find these people and hang them up by their nut sacks until they cry uncle. Well, wait another 10 min just for good measure.

FYI guys... SuperAntiSpyware has a new online scanner that works great. And it's a .com download/executable that gets past a lot of the spyware that tries to block removal tools.

Microsoft Security Essentials prompted kicked that virus' ass on two computers I fixed this morning. Both of them had variants of rogue antivirus software - one was Windows Police Pro, and the other was WinAntiSpyware 2010.

Rebooted into Safe Mode with Networking, went to microsoft.com/security_essentials, the download worked and it cleaned it all up perfectly.

I'm really impressed with it.

Microsoft Security Essentials prompted kicked that virus' ass on two computers I fixed this morning. Both of them had variants of rogue antivirus software - one was Windows Police Pro, and the other was WinAntiSpyware 2010.

Rebooted into Safe Mode with Networking, went to microsoft.com/security_essentials, the download worked and it cleaned it all up perfectly.

I'm really impressed with it.

Why did you have to do that? Was MSE not running on the machine at the time of the infection?

I really don't get this. People just keep installing the crap? And the world is supposed to move to Linux when people don't even know what the hell they are installing on their computers?

Why did you have to do that? Was MSE not running on the machine at the time of the infection?

I really don't get this. People just keep installing the crap? And the world is supposed to move to Linux when people don't even know what the hell they are installing on their computers?

Wasn't my machine. They had Norton on it when it was given to me. Both had a red Norton alert window saying that it's been deactivated and asked you to activate it again.

They had Norton on it when it was given to me. Both had a red Norton alert window saying that it's been deactivated and asked you to activate it again.
That's it right there in bold. It's surprising how many people don't pay no attention to there task-bar. Mt g/f was like that till i showed her the importance of just glancing down at it occasionally. Hell she had Windows updates waiting to install and she had no idea what it was about, lol. Her mom and step-dad are the same way.
Good thing my g/f don't go downloading everything she sees or she would have me busy all the time, lol.

That's it right there in bold. It's surprising how many people don't pay no attention to there task-bar. Mt g/f was like that till i showed her the importance of just glancing down at it occasionally. Hell she had Windows updates waiting to install and she had no idea what it was about, lol. Her mom and step-dad are the same way.
Good thing my g/f don't go downloading everything she sees or she would have me busy all the time, lol.

It was disabled by the virus. You couldn't re-enable it.

Ahhh OK, i thought maybe there subscription had ran out. Sorry.

Ran across another one today where it deletes mbam.exe (malwarebytes) the moment you install malwarebytes.:mad:

I always rename the .exe both on the installer and once it's installed. This helps run around these problems sometimes.

Microsoft Security Essentials blocked a Adobe exploit on a news website I was visting, I was very impressed.

I have such a backlog of work because of all the new spyware/rootkits/viruses/whatever out now. The money is rolling in but damn they just keep getting worse and worse.

oh bugger, i work term time as a IT Tech, if this stuff is starting to affect machines, im not looking to next week when im back at work, all the staff will probably have it by then...

I always rename the .exe both on the installer and once it's installed. This helps run around these problems sometimes.

Well, the problem is mbam.exe gets deleted the moment it's installed, more like before it finishes installing. I saw the file get put into the install folder than disappear. Crafty bastards.

ive run across machines where it wont launch the malwarebytes.exe file. i just switch over to another spyware remover do initial clean the try to install malwarebytes again. i hope you guys are attempting to clean this stuff in safe mode.

Sh!t. I just saw a variant of AntiVirus 2010 on a client's PC yesterday. WTF. Already. Damn their fast.

That's been around for a few months already, I've given up trying to fix the problem and just reload/re-image the system in question.

Unless someone has found a piece of software that will actually prevent or remove the problem?

Back