Web Based Folding

gta95

Limp Gawd
I think it may be a dumb question but do you think it would be possible to setup some kind of script and allow a client just to point that that address on a network, and it would start folding and be able to send results easily without much configuration?

Realistically for public use? No. If it was something that you wanted for your own personal use, than yes it would be possible. How do you think a lot of the new virii / trojans / phising come from?

No one likes scripts, active-x controls, etc and it would take way too much configuring of individual boxes and lots of re-inforcement from you that you weren't allowing a malicious snippet of coded to be installed.

Realistically for public use? No. If it was something that you wanted for your own personal use, than yes it would be possible. How do you think a lot of the new virii / trojans / phising come from?

No one likes scripts, active-x controls, etc and it would take way too much configuring of individual boxes and lots of re-inforcement from you that you weren't allowing a malicious snippet of coded to be installed.

Yup, like the one guy who tried and eggdrop on an irc network, he was cool till they figured where all the cpu cycles were going;)

That's correct. I'm very sure Stanford will never make this kind of web client. The only thing you can is write your own web page with some script to load the needed code and transmit WU via a middle server. This is a very big security risk if you were to publish this method so it's best only for your own personnal use.

goes against the license of the project. You must have full permission from the computer's owner to be able to fold on it. This borderlines giving F@H a bad name

Ok, thanks for all the information. I wasn't really planning on trying it but I was just sitting around and thought of it. Did think it would have some trouble getting off the ground but did not think of the security and license risks.

Also Stanford does not allow the client to be distributed from anywhere besides their website so you would have to have it point there, download, install to a specific folder, run the config file and set it as a service and then start the service or wait for a reboot. Seems like too much hassle to me. I just do a network push for mine or just do it manually (I can do a dual core console setup in about 45 seconds now I have done it so many times)

Also Stanford does not allow the client to be distributed from anywhere besides their website so you would have to have it point there, download, install to a specific folder, run the config file and set it as a service and then start the service or wait for a reboot. Seems like too much hassle to me. I just do a network push for mine or just do it manually (I can do a dual core console setup in about 45 seconds now I have done it so many times)

during my borgfest, i had it down samirai style, no wasted movement :)

doskey ftw! seriously I can slap in a USB key, copy one folder (that already has the client in a /fold directory and seperated in a /1 and /2 anf do a

cd\fold\1
fah504-console -configonly
fill in name team etc
up arrow up arrow backspace 2 enter
up arrow up arrow enter
fill in info change from machine ID1 to machine ID2 and add username etc
done

This may be the saddest thing that I can sit in a hotel room and type that from memory :)

Back