Weak Wireless Network Signal

MrSloppy

Limp Gawd
Hello, I'm having an issue where I'm getting poor wireless network signal strength in my house. What kind of options do I have to boost the signal so that it would be strong enough for large file transfers and gaming?

if you can run cat5, you can run lines from the main router to each floors or weaker spots and attach another wireless router with same ssid, channel, security so you can roam.

if you cant run cat5, you can flash your current router with tomato and pick up another few routers and flash them as well and bridge them.

OP: What kind of router do you have?

Some generic items I suggest are moving and tilting the antenna's to get a better signal (if you have antennas), or move it away from other appliances or metal objects. Keep in mind that you might be picking up interference from other things like wireless controllers, cordless phones, microwaves etc.

Also, centralize your gear if you can.

If all else fails, you might look into another set of antenna's (again, if you have them) to help boost your strength.

Don't know if you're a grandfathered n00b or not, but there's a wireless extender in the FS forum. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1320480

I'm using a WRT54GX-v2. My ISP had routed the cable for my cable modem down in my basement. Since that's where my cable modem is, I've also left the router there as well. I have poor reception throughout the house.

Do you guys know of any locations I can go to specifically read up on the pros and cons of the various methods of increasing wireless network range? I don't know much about these kind of things, I don't even know where to start to be honest.

why not answer the questions that we posted. are you able to run a cat5 line from the basement upstairs?

if yes, run a line and add another wireless access point.

if not, then you can either put teh cable modem and router somewhere else, just make sure its on the first split of the cable line.

if dont want to do that, flash the router with tomato, pick up another one and do bridging.

I can't run a Cat5 line from the basement to upstairs, I have no idea how to do that.

I can't move the cable modem and router out of the basement because the cable to the cable modem was routed there and I don't know of any way to reroute the wires.

What is Tomato and bridging?

Can set up a AP or another router and turn it into a AP. Also can get a better router/wireless card. I am shooting over 100 yard just fine.

Back