We just revert back a week ago?

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
Seems like we lost a ton of posts, anyone else notice?

Yaaaaa I missed the announcement but was looking around going wow we are missing a ton.

That's major suckage :(
Ya'll have to figure out where you were with the 500 Video card thread for sure.
I'm waiting and watching to see who claims they added the last video card to make it an even 500 video cards added to the [H]orde :)

It has happened a few times before. Last database failure of this magnitude was sometime back in 2007, IIRC. This forum sees lots of traffic and we have to bear with the realty of the situation. It's worth the bit of down time and lost threads for the benefits the forums have to offer.

What I'm curious of is if certain forum threads will come back or not.
It's possible, but I wager it to be less than likely. In the past there have been a few times we recovered lost threads. Sometimes we got them all back, sometimes only partially. I don't believe we recovered them the last time this happened, and it affected threads further back in time. It could have been worse than what we are undergoing. I think we were pretty lucky this time and not too upset about it.

most likely if it was db corruption they just went to the backup.. which was probably made before they started messing with the forums.. which is about right.. they started the major changes about 7 days ago.. so the odds of anything coming back is a no.. plus on top of that you would lose everything posted today.. you can splice 2 databases back together.. you either add all the old stuff missing back and lose everything added since the backup was used.. or deal with the loss and continue on without it..

I think we were pretty lucky this time and not too upset about it.
so the odds of anything coming back is a no.. plus on top of that you would lose everything posted today.. you can splice 2 databases back together.. you either add all the old stuff missing back and lose everything added since the backup was used.. or deal with the loss and continue on without it..
Interesting, thnx for the input. I should read up on this sort of thing sometime.

One thing I'd like to throw out there going forward, is for everyone to consider keeping a second copy of things that you find important on your computer. When we started having forum issues a while back, I started building a collection of files locally with the things we should never lose, such as HDCotM interviews, the "Why we DC" thread, the [H]orde|Central v2 thread, etc. Unfortunately I don't think I've got anything that was lost that I can put back up.

That being said, the one thing that does scare me is not lost posts, or even entire threads lost, but lost edits. I noticed that my backup of the Official Projects thread is a bit dated, so I'm not 100% on what I've added between my the last backup and now.

One thing I'd like to throw out there going forward, is for everyone to consider keeping a second copy of things that you find important ....

Ya, that is a great idea.

I have been doing the same thing with my interviews for HDCotM. I have them all saved on my work server which is backed up and triple redundant.

So far, I have not had to repost anything.

It has been a long time since we lost lots of posts.

Back