wds / physical connection question

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
I have two AP's in wds mode, with one acting as the router and the other one simply extending the wireless area. The problem I'm having is that when there's high wireless activity to the main access point, it'll bug out and be around 70% packet loss. And it seems that the clients will be able to send to the AP most of the time, but there won't be a response. If I were to connect hardline, there wouldn't be any problem.

The two APs are not connected via ethernet, and I'm wondering if there'd be a way to automatically load balance between the two to get on the internet if I physically connected the two. Would the secondary AP know to prefer to talk with the main AP via ethernet as opposed to wireless? And even in that case, would that help, since the stronger signal seen by the clients would still be the main AP, so it'd probably still try to use that.

In the network, there are around 4 clients on at a time usually, and probably 2-3 running a bunch of emule/limewire/torrent style connection hogs. I'm assuming the biggest problem being those who eat up maybe 60 connections to themselves with all the torrents being active. I know the easiest solution is to make the clients handle those connections better, but I'm looking to try to approach it from the network angle as much as possible. Hardlining is not a possibility for the other clients.

Basically, I guess I'm looking for a way to be able to load balance between the two AP's that have similar signal, although the main AP is stronger. The two are WDS. Separating the networks and forcing different clients to different networks is not an acceptable solution.

So there's no way to do this without disabling wds? I'm thinking if I have two AP's with the same credentials, clients will be able to hop back and forth anyway and if they're hardlined anyway to eachother, there's no need for wds? No way to keep it as a failover?

Back