WD7500AAKS or Hitachi 7k1000 (759gig v)?

INFRNL

[H]ard|Gawd
cannot find a review of the 2. they all want to compare the wd7500aaks to the 1T hitachi. I think the hitachi might be better cause of the 32mb cache and the 1t model performs better than the 7500aaks by a little bit; but that doesnt mean the hitachi 750 gig model will perform as well.

would like to know which is the better drive. lmk your opinions and/or if you know of any reviews between the 2 750gig models. Thanks

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 Review (though you are correct...it is the 1T version...the reviewer states that specs/ratings will be similar with 750 version....)hrm...wonder why nobody has reviewed that drive..?

http://www.storagereview.com/HDS721010KLA330.sr?page=0,0

WD7500AAKS Review:

http://www.storagereview.com/WD7500AAKS.sr

After scanning through those reviews (don't flame me...I didn't read them...just "scanned" ;) ) it seems that the Hitachi beats it out in performance overall.

If it's capacity AND performance you are looking for I'd go with the 7K1000 if it where me.

EDIT: Just found a review comparing the 1T version to the 750Gig version to the AAKS...this guy even has Mp3s of each drive so you can hear the noise difference. Sweet...

http://www.behardware.com/articles/683-1/product-review-four-750-gb-to-1-terabyte-sata-hdds.html

Still seems like the Hitachi is my choice....but you decide.

Hope that helps!

thanks; will have to read. Really dont want to spend $300 on a 1T drive; thats why I wanted a comparison on the 750gigs. but I may hold off till the prices drop more. right now I can get the Wd 7500aaks for $170 may wait till they hit $150, but $170 is still good price. comes out to like $0.22 per gig I think

I have the WD 750GB and absolutely love it. Fast performance, less power consumption, fastest 750GB on the market. What more could you want from a 750GB drive. In the end, it all depends on your needs. You can't really compare them because they're in 2 different classes. Obviously, the 1TB Hitachi is faster than the 750GB and has 32mb cache (compared to 16mb on the WD). But it will cost you more per GB because of the price jump to the new 1TB technology. You can get a brand new WD 750GB on eBay for around $155-180 shipped. I haven't seen the 1TB drives go for less than $270 shipped. If you do need the 250GB more, I would recommend going with 2 500GB drives and putting them in raid0 or you can compare the 1TB Hitachi with the 1TB WD rather than apples and oranges.

I have the WD 750GB and absolutely love it. Fast performance, less power consumption, fastest 750GB on the market. What more could you want from a 750GB drive. In the end, it all depends on your needs. You can't really compare them because they're in 2 different classes. Obviously, the 1TB Hitachi is faster than the 750GB and has 32mb cache (compared to 16mb on the WD). But it will cost you more per GB because of the price jump to the new 1TB technology. You can get a brand new WD 750GB on eBay for around $155-180 shipped. I haven't seen the 1TB drives go for less than $270 shipped. If you do need the 250GB more, I would recommend going with 2 500GB drives and putting them in raid0 or you can compare the 1TB Hitachi with the 1TB WD rather than apples and oranges.

they have the 32mb hitachi drives out in 750 gig as well. kinf of the whole purpose of my thread. The WD750aaks was the fastest, but they recently released the hitachi, but I havent seen any reviews on it and being the 1TB version is a bit better than the WD; is why I was thinking that the 750 gig hitachi would perform better as well. however they always compare the wd to the 1TB model for some reason.

I've got eight of the Western Digital 750gb drives on my Areca 1231ML controller. They run great in RAID5 - much faster and more stable than the Segate 7200.10 drives I was previously using. I would recommend them without hesitation, plus they are extremely quiet and run cooler then the Seagate's did. I was tempted by the Hitachi drives, but the price was still a bit more than I wanted to spend.

they have the 32mb hitachi drives out in 750 gig as well. kinf of the whole purpose of my thread. The WD750aaks was the fastest, but they recently released the hitachi, but I havent seen any reviews on it and being the 1TB version is a bit better than the WD; is why I was thinking that the 750 gig hitachi would perform better as well. however they always compare the wd to the 1TB model for some reason.

What do you need? The Hitachi 1TB is obviously faster than the WD 750GB. If you are looking for size and money doesn't matter, go with the 1TB. If you want the best price per GB, get 2x500GB and go with raid0. Otherwise, the 750GB WD is a great storage solution and is cheaper than both the Hitachi 1TB and 750GB.

What do you need? The Hitachi 1TB is obviously faster than the WD 750GB. If you are looking for size and money doesn't matter, go with the 1TB. If you want the best price per GB, get 2x500GB and go with raid0. Otherwise, the 750GB WD is a great storage solution and is cheaper than both the Hitachi 1TB and 750GB.

OK lets throw the 1TB out the window! I am not looking at the 1TB at all cause its way too expensive. I also do not want to run any kind of raid config as I have lost too much data from it in the past. I am looking for opinions or reviews between the WD 7500AAKS and the Hitachi 32mb 750 gig drive. I know the wd is an excellent drive and the 750 gig hitachi is about the same price.

what I want is to see some results on how the Wd performs compared to the 750 gig 32mb cache Hitachi. cause if the 750 gig version of the Hitachi performs anything like the 1tb version then its worth my extra $5 to get the Hitachi over the WD. make sense. Thanks for all the relpies so far as well

Back