WD20EARS Failed Test HELP!

DudeThe

Limp Gawd
Hi
I recently purchased 3 WD20EARS (2TB) hard disks.
I am getting this error in the Quick Ligeguard test on 1 drive, other 2 pass the test and seem to be working fine (yet),.
The bad drive doesnt copy anything, and just freezes. HDTune also freezes after the first 3 blocks in the quick scan, then disappears.
Here is the picture of the error with the Diagnostic tool. Please any suggestions, if it can be fixed without a need for an RMA.
System details are in my Sig, and am using Win7 32Bit.

unfortunately that looks like an RMA case to me. Luckily WD is pretty easy to deal with as far as that goes.

unfortunately that looks like an RMA case to me. Luckily WD is pretty easy to deal with as far as that goes.

:eek: NooOooooOoOOO!!!!! :(

O well I had a hunch it would be an RMA case :(

Anyways please suggest how to scan and check other drives that they are not faulty....is WD utility (Full Scan) sufficient.
Thanks

This is a long shot but have you tried using the DOS program? The Windows version gave a ton of false positives when I last used it.

This is a long shot but have you tried using the DOS program? The Windows version gave a ton of false positives when I last used it.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice guys.
The drive itself is not usable, as it freezes after copying just few hundread MBs. Also the HD tune freezes after 3 Block (on animation). I was hoping that MAY BE MAY BE re-flashing the drive with firmware or Update or any other tool that can fix it :( Though seems unlikely.......

RMA it. WD has a very quick turnaround usually. Do it sooner than later as lots of people will be RMAing drives after the holidays. The quickest turnaround has been 8 days for me, from my sending the drive via UPS and receiving another back at my doorstep.

I have RMA'd over 20 WD drives, as I am a WD-only fanboy. I usually get something nicer back, they *have* to provide you a drive with equal or greater size, equal or greater spindle speed, and equal or greater connectivity and disk-buffer size. Some of my RMA's have returned Black drives for Green's and Blue's sent in, or drives with newer revisions and build dates. (Getting a Black or Raptor back is a HUGE plus, as you get 2 extra years of warranty with them)

Just RMA it first thing tomorrow and you'll have a replacement in your hands (usually) by next Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:
Back