• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WD1500ADFD & Adaptec 1420SA

SiRCYRO

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 21, 2003
Messages
111
I got my new 150G Raptor and replaced my 74G Raptor. Both of these running on my Adaptec 1420SA. While my 74G Raptor had no problem on the controller, the new 150G seems to freeze the controller on post when its detecting the drives connected.

Plugging the 150G into the onboard controller the computer boots normally, WD Diagnostics tool reported that there were no errors on the drive.

The reason I am using my main OS drive on the controller is that when I was using the 74G Raptor on the onboard controller Windows was giving me the An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation. error which I found out was caused by the onboard controller. My 1420SA fixed that problem.

Any ideas? I'm assuming its a compatibility issue with my controller and the new drive.
 
After several months of correspondance between Adaptec and WesterDigital neither one was able to provide a solution. Each told me to try and contact the other one because it is not a problem with their hardware. So now I'm looking for a new SATA Raid controller card, nothing too expensive, just one that will do Raid 1 and isn't CPU dependant. Anyone have any suggestions on a card that will work with my 150G Raptor? Or maybe something to try and get my current card to recognize the drive?
 
what mobo do you have?
I would guess that even software RAID1 does not require a lot of CPU, considering that there are no calculations, just plain and simple "write twice". With that in mind, you can buy just about any RAID-capable card that fits your port + slot needs.
 
I'm using a A8N-SLI Premium but the onboard controllers generate "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation" errors on my main drive which is not in Raid but running my OS. The controller is just for my Raid 1 array, but moving my old OS drive to the controller fixed that problem. My 150g Raptor won't even boot on my current card.
 
let me get this straight:
right now you have 74G raptor on the Adaptec and the 150G raptor on the A8N-SLI. Which ports are you using on the Mobo? The SI ones or the nForce attached ports?

Also, does your OS report "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation" on a continuing basis? Do you have NCQ enabled on the nForce ports? There have been reports of NCQ causing a error 51 on some WinXP installs.
 
Currently I have the 150G attached to the nforce controller ports, if I connected it to the Adaptec controller the PC will not boot. I believe I get that error when using the SI controller also. The 74G is not being used right now.

The error appears normally just after booting into windows, and will often show up about 10-20 times at once. It does not appear every boot, more like 70% of boots. I've disabled command queuing I'll see if the error dissapears. (Although the PC appears to take longer during boot up)
 
I had the same error message with my 74Gb Raptor on this board (Asus AN8-SLI Deluxe). Turning the command queueing off fixed it as well since the Raptor supports TCQ vs NCQ. As far as I know, it was a known support issue with nForce4 chipsets that WD should have been able to spot.

My event log used to show Event ID's of 17 and 51 for several paging operations during boot, and then would be clean until I would do a large file transfer between drives. Then it was always back to drive 0 (Raptor). Give that a try first before hunting for another RAID card.

-E
 
Back
Top