• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WD SATA II drives?

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 4, 2003
Messages
7,346
Just got an e-mail from WD announcing their SATA II drives for their popular SATA 7200 rpm drives. Those who have Raptors evidently don't rate by WD anymore and suck hind tit on this one as the Raptors are not available in SATA II?
 
Top Nurse said:
Just got an e-mail from WD announcing their SATA II drives for their popular SATA 7200 rpm drives. Those who have Raptors evidently don't rate by WD anymore and suck hind tit on this one as the Raptors are not available in SATA II?

What?
 
Though I disagree with Nurse's coarse presentation ;) he's right on the money on WD pulling a marketing gimmick here. When WD advertises "SATA-II" it is only implementing the faster 3gbps transfer rate, none of the other recent SATA features such as NCQ, staggered spin-up, hot-plug, etc. However, this addition will have a huge impact on WD's marketing - they can now advertise that their drives are "twice as fast" as the lowly SATA-150 competition. Never mind that there is not a sinlge usage model that will receive any recognizable boost in performance from such a change in interface. I honestly doubt that WD has even moded to a single chip SATA interface yet - I have seen no data to the contrary.
 
DougLite said:
Though I disagree with Nurse's coarse presentation ;) he's right on the money on WD pulling a marketing gimmick here. When WD advertises "SATA-II" it is only implementing the faster 3gbps transfer rate, none of the other recent SATA features such as NCQ, staggered spin-up, hot-plug, etc. However, this addition will have a huge impact on WD's marketing - they can now advertise that their drives are "twice as fast" as the lowly SATA-150 competition. Never mind that there is not a sinlge usage model that will receive any recognizable boost in performance from such a change in interface. I honestly doubt that WD has even moded to a single chip SATA interface yet - I have seen no data to the contrary.

I believe (from reading OC&C a lot) that TN is a female...

I completely agree with what you are saying there though. Its all marketing. Its a shame there isn't an official spec for this stuff like the ATA-7 spec that manufacturers could claim to support. Doing this kind of thing is just twisting words (which all of the manufacturers are guilty of).
 
Top Nurse said:
Just got an e-mail from WD announcing their SATA II drives for their popular SATA 7200 rpm drives. Those who have Raptors evidently don't rate by WD anymore and suck hind tit on this one as the Raptors are not available in SATA II?


Raptors aren't true sata drive anyway. WD just put a 10k ide drive with a bridge chip for ide-sata on it. I believe seagate was the first to have a native sata drive.
 
Dark Ember said:
I believe (from reading OC&C a lot) that TN is a female...
Unfortuantely, I have no way to tell readily, and it's like Lazn_Work said - "Welcome to the Internet, where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents ... who are men." I realize that my English teacher from high school would have a fit for doing this, but "he" will suffice in my mind as a generic pronoun for describing fellow forum members in the third person - it's half the keystrokes of "s/he." I apologize to all of our female members, but real life gender of our members isn't revealed too often, I wouldn't want to reveal such personal info myself, and I have no readily available independent confirmation on such matters. Also, I didn't want to be caught callously assuming that "Nurse=female," as that is as 'politically' dangerous as assuming that every computer gamer is male. Enough on that.

Back to the original topic, this is in fact a mere marketing gimmick to increase market share among the crowd that buys their hard drives at BestBuy, etc. 300MB/sec is twice as fast as 150MB/sec, right? :rolleyes: Native SATA designs are becoming more and more common, and it is correct that Seagate did it first. In fact, Seagate is the only maker that has never used a PATA bridge chip. The advantages of such a design are numerous, fewer chips, smaller chips, easier signal integrity maintanence, and less PCB space required for the interface to the system. This makes the drives easier and cheaper to produce and somewhat more reliable (but obviously, mechanical failure is still by far the most frequent cause of hard drive passage). Accountants have got to love this, as a SATA drive also commands a higher price on the market :)
 
Back
Top