WD Refurbished HD's?

UMASS

Gawd
Hi All: I have always purchased WD Black HD's for years now. I never received a bad unit until a month ago. It's only a 500GB drive for a Windows XP build. The RMA process was easy thru WD & I received the replacement drive within a week & a half.

My question is if the replacement WD refurbished drives are ok. I want to build this XP unit & want it to last considering XP is going away. This rig will only be used for playing some older games.

Can anyone please give me some insight with receiving a replacement HD from WD & if they have been reliable?

My question is if the replacement WD refurbished drives are ok.

Like any drive there is a > 0% chance of getting a DOA drive. My advice (as a person who has done 75+ RMAs for hard drives) is to always test before putting a drive into production.

I have used them for a few green drives I had fail and can't say I've had any issues.
2 (2TB) about a year-ish ago. I'm still running the replacements
1 (1TB) about 5-6mo ago. I'm still running the replacement

I did the standard replacement like you. The process was pretty painless and they were quick to ship the replacement.

If you give WD your CC for a hold of funds you can get the replacement in 2 days and have 30 days to return defective one!

Dont know about black refurba but I've had good luck with random refurb RE drives off of fleabay and amazon which are nearly identical to Blacks. Never had a problem with any black or RE drive come to think of it

2 things I will never buy. Used PSU's and used hard drives. Nope.

This.
And now also socket 1156 motherboards onwards due to pins in the sockets bending.
(unless they come with the CPU)

I've had a good amount of my RMAs come back as recerts and they've all served me well. Perform diligence as you should, as with any HDD.

Many thanks to all of you for your insight. WD "Black" HD's have been so damn good to me thru the years. I purchased this 500GB on sale ($52.99) @ NG a while back & waited to build my WINXP build after 30 days (my fault) So, I needed to go thru WD for a replacement. I must admit. their RMA process was pretty painless, plus the shipping label from UPS only cost me $6.00 & change from their website.

I'm almost done with my build I started this morning. The refurbished HD seems to be fine so far. Running some stress tests @ the moment. I think I'm heading over to SSD's when I build my new rig in the Fall. Maybe a 1TB WD Black for bulk storage.

Again, many thanks to all of you for your help & insight.

I got a refurb upgrade from 1.5TB to 2TB. Both were Black drives. No issues so far...

Back