WD RED 5TB - when?

Silhouette

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to buy 20 HDDs for another server before mid January. I know WD stated that they would release WD50EFRX before the end of the year, but has anyone seen any signs of these drives yet? I'll be running out of space around the 25th of January, so unless they show up soon I'm tempted to take advantage of a sale on the WD40EFRX instead.

Don't expect to see these in any decent quantity until 2Q14, and even then at very high $/GB.

A number of sites are populating the part number with no/low stock listed at insane pricing. That being said, don't expect to see them for retail sale period in any quantity for some time, and even then at significantly high $/GB pricing until enterprise and OEM channels are fulfilled.

Actually, it is $1,529.81 = $3,824.52 - $2,294.71

I love that "60% Cyber Monday Discount". You save $2,294.71!!! :D

I wonder what the price will be tomorrow.

Actually, it is $1,529.81 = $3,824.52 - $2,294.71

I'm quite embarrassed to get that wrong. To my defense I am a bit under the weather at the moment.

Soon I hope. The sooner 5+TB comes out the sooner 4TB will come down ;)

That's not really the reality. Not sure why people always assume this, given that for at least the past 5 years, a bigger drivesize has not really impacted the pricepoints of lesser sized drives. The historical price charts attest to it.

Hell, I'm able to consistently buy 4TB drives at about 20% less per GB than the 3TB edition from the same line and same vendor. 2TB and 3TB have been holding steady for years.

Last edited:
Having just dropped some 5TB Toshibas in a FreeNAS box, I wish I'd waited. 7200rpm disks with noisy actuators, moving 6 at once is frankly, bloody awful.

WD Green / WD Red would be a far better choice (I think Greens are fine in a FreeNAS iirc - dedicated boxes like TheCUS and Synology, might need Reds)

Big dumb mistake buying them, just fair warning to you all, wait for something a bit quieter (the god damned Toshiba doesn't even support AAM,... in 2014) appalling.

Back