WD Raptor X WD1500 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA150 HD-$174.99 Free Shipping

You can get it cheaper elsewhere... with free shipping as well.

Scratches head. this isn't very hot.

I also don't think its a very hot deal....with todays newer drives , the Raptors days are numbered.....yeah its fast, I have 4 Raptors so I know they are fast.....they are just not fast enough to warrant the price anymore.

Warm maybe. What's the regular price, $229ish?

What I'd love to see is the 64GB SSD that OCZ announced at CES, as fast as this drive but with 0ms access time!!! :eek::rolleyes::p

Yeah, the days are numbered. With the SE16 750 GB WD beating the 74 GB Raptor in many parts of benchmarks, I'd be hard pressed to choose the raptor 150 for a tiny read/write increase over some of the newer 750GB+ hard drives out now. There is just not enough space for all of my games on just one. The only real advantages are access times.

I'd probably pay 100 for a raptor 150.

First placed I looked...
http://clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A3494857

If you actually look around yourself, I suspect it can be found cheaper. ;)

The link you posted does not have the same part as the one the OP listed.
The one the OP listed is the model with the window Thus the X in Raptor X, your link is not X.
Generally the one with the window costs more.

I agree with others that the Raptors are not really worth the premium price anymore.
Its about time they come out with a higher capacity model.

This noobie tried!!! Sorry, I'll look harder next time. I just know from experience the raptor 10,000 rpm drives definitely increase performance. This is for those who have top performance in mind.

The link you posted does not have the same part as the one the OP listed.
The one the OP listed is the model with the window Thus the X in Raptor X, your link is not X.
Generally the one with the window costs more.

I agree with others that the Raptors are not really worth the premium price anymore.
Its about time they come out with a higher capacity model.

You're right, my bad... the window is $5 more. Still no deal though!

Would you guys say that the older 74gig model with 8 meg cache is worth ~$80 US?

SATA I, don't think that it makes a difference though. It's new, not in US, it's down here in Mexico.

the 150s aren't SATAII either (it really doesn't make a difference), but they are an update relative to the 74. I doubt there will be any more Raptors. There just isn't a need for them. Newer high capacity drives with extremely large caches can almost match their performance and SSDs will take their market segment.

That said, right this second, there is no drive that will match them 100% unless you go SCSI. $170 really is a pretty good price for as fast as it is. Need more space? Do what I did and buy 2 and stripe them. 300GB is enough for a primary drive system and two striped raptors will blow away just about any single drive on the planet. If you think $340 is expensive, go see what a 300GB Cheetah will run ya.

Back