WD Raptor X 150gb - $110 BB B&M YMMV

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
At the local Best Buy, they had 3 WD Raptor X 150gb drives for $110.. May be on clearance at other stores.

are there any 10-12% off coupons currently and would they even work for this?

i should also mention i was at my local BB and they had a 500Gb internal 7200rpm SATA HDD for $100 roughly, not an open box, brand new....was pretty surprised actually because thats the going price for a nice 500Gb HDD at the e-tailers recently...

I saw the raptors on clearance for 99 at my local best buy. Very tempting.

great thing about the new velociraptors is that the original raptors become cheaper.

Good for the low latency, but I'd rather get a SE16 640GB for $90 (or two).

110 is a damn good price....too bad its YMMV :(

btw where'd ya get the 640 for 90?.....thought the lowest price was 99

Infonec.com (current sale, $89.99), Anitec.ca (last week, $89.95). F1 750GB deal for $98.88 just ended at NCIX. We Canadians don't get many good deals, but the few things we do get are HDDs and low-end RAM. Mobo, CPU, case, and GPU prices are still pretty outrageous. PSUs too, I guess.

Hell, despite the same exchange rate, Ikea will charge you twice as much for the same bed frame in Canada as they would in the States!

guess i'll be driving around kc today to buy them up at that price. with my luck, they'll still be $210 here.

TheBluePill,

What's "local" for you??? a post without that info isn't of much help.

500GB drives go for 80-90 USD regularly onsale on many etailers now. 100 is probably average, but by no means a great deal. ive seen new OEM 500GB WDs for 70 bux a few times.

I have checked two stores in downtown Chicago and they are on clearance for 149.99 down from 199.99. Not a great deal in my opinion, but if you were lucky enough to have your Best Buy have them for 99 or 109 that is a great deal.

Just a heads up for some of you.

Can anyone post a scanned receipt for the drive at $99? They might price match it to that.

Damn forgot to check the Green Bay, WI store this morning when I picked up the 3870 vid card deal... :(

There's rarely a good store sale in San Francisco Bay Area, California.

got it for 110 here, gonna run a raid 0 with tent pole and a smile

Did you get it for $110 after any type of coupon? If not, can you send me a scanned receipt of it? I want to price match it with a 12% coupon to get it cheap.

On this clearance stuff, hit ot miss. Based on manager discretion

It also usually needs to be in the area to price match, I think around 30 miles.

I picked up one of these since I wanted a 2nd HD anyway, and the Raptors have always intrigued me since the very first model. I've been looking for an excuse to get a 10K drive just to check it out, and since this is B&M it was an easy call. $119.99 in Topsham, ME location. Multiple left on the shelf (not like anyone lives in Maine, but maybe :p)

Few things here I noticed...

The packaging is terrible for a premium drive. While its quite clear WD just wants to save a bit of cash on packaging, they could have at least included a pullout with Raptor specific information on it. All you get is a "SATA drive" installation manual, that managed to not mention if I should use the Molex connector on the back of the Raptor to power the drive. I moved things around and I am using a SATA power cable now. Also they put the drive in this little cloth bag which left hundreds of fibers all over my Raptor.

The WD tools (not included, download only) suck. They are dated from 2006 and do not work on my PC with or without AHCI enabled. I wanted to transfer my OS from my previous drive to the Raptor using the tools. Instead I just installed Vista again :rolleyes:

The drive is noisy, but its noisy in a satisfying way. Your experience may vary :D

Performance seems about the same as my single platter 320AAKS, I pretty much expected that. I am not going to go benchmark crazy or anything.

Still no love here in Boston, MA, though a few of the farther out stores in MA have them listed at $119.

Back