• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WD Raptor long formats?

merach

n00b
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
19
I recently upgraded my mobo and proc from an MSI K6N with a 2600+ barton to a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a 3800+ A64 X2, I had some inital issues getting windows to install (mixing memory trying to using dual channel) after removing one memory module everything installed fine, I havn't gotten past the first boot into windows because I had to leave for work, The thing that is bugging me is that the drive took roughly 10-15 minutes to format, As opposed to 10 seconds on the other mobo/proc combo. I know the bios is old and the processor isn't being recognized correctly, Updating it is going to be the first thing I do, I'm just curious if this would, or if not, what, Would cause a 74GB raptor to format so slowly.
 
That's not really a long time for a full format. Honest ;)
 
10 seconds would be a quick format. 10-15 minutes is pretty quick for a full format on a drive of that size.
 
Yeah, 10-15 minutes isn't bad at all. I've had 80 gig drives take 30 minutes and 200 gig drives take an hour or more.
 
If the drive had an existing partition, it will do a quick format, hence why your old drive only took a few seconds to format. If there is no pre-existing partition aka clean from the factory, then format will do a zero out format that as stated, can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on the size of your drive.

-E
 
Back
Top