WD Raptor 150 Power Connectors

Cyrilix

2[H]4U
I have one of these drives and it has both a SATA connection as well as a molex connector. I've plugged both of these in and have been running my hard drive like this for a while, but recently, I read that you're not supposed to plug both of them in, just one. Is this correct?

I was just reading this site: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=238

That's where I stumbled on the info. Although this is a different drive, is it essentially the same thing?

I'm guessing you mean SATA Power connector.

You're probably not supposed to connect them both at the same time, but obviously the engineers at WD have thought ahead and have probably designed their drives to draw off only one of the connectors while safely handling the extraneous connector.

Connecting three things to the drive didn't seem odd? ;)

Do not use both connectors! Unplug one of them, otherwise you will fry your drive (too much power to it).

disconnect the molex asap. its bad!

The molex connector is no worse than the SATA power connector.

I have one of these drives and it has both a SATA connection as well as a molex connector. I've plugged both of these in and have been running my hard drive like this for a while, but recently, I read that you're not supposed to plug both of them in, just one. Is this correct?

I was just reading this site: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=238

That's where I stumbled on the info. Although this is a different drive, is it essentially the same thing?
Wow, how long have you been running like that? Use whichever connector is more convenient, it doesn't matter.

yeah honesty, I have used either one in the past and I haven't noticed a different, since I love those cables WD gives you i just use regular molex adapters.

How long have I been running it like this? Some 4 months+ without a hitch, I guess...I'll check again in my case to see if I'm really doing something wrong.

Edit: Well, I unplugged the molex and it still runs, so the molex must've been extra. Yes I did think it was weird that my previous hard drive didn't have that molex connector but I thought the Raptors needed extra juice due to their speed.

Back