WD player died.. now what?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
Well my parents WD player died on them. They had one of the originals and it looks like this time it won't come back to life. I need some ideas for a replacement for them. I gave up on media players my self and use an HTPC. Is the WD Live a good player? I got about 100$ to work with. Thx for any advice!
 
I have one and its pretty good. User interface can be a little sluggish. But when it comes to playing media, it always works as intended.
 
Yeah, I played with the WD live and like it over the older version but wasn't sure if it was the best for playing personal contant in teh form of Divx, Xvid, Avi, MKV etc..
 
can bios detect it? if yes, there is still some software which can save your data
 
I've been extremely happy with my WDTV Live, and I've had it for maybe a couple years now?
I agree that the interface can be sluggish at times, and it can also be slow to find the network "server"
although the network part seems to have cleared up a lot since the last firmware update.
 
For playing local (or network accessible) media, the WD players are really the best option. They play almost anything.
 
Depends on what they do with it.

Just Netflix / Hulu ? Then, actually, the recommendation is the Apple TV. Damn thing works, is quick, and is simple for non-tech people to figure out.

Do they need streaming from local servers? Then something like the WD is a good idea. Apple TV is extremely limited in what it can do. Those few things it does REALLY well, though. But for other things, the WD is a decent option. The new Roku 3 is really good, too. I used one recently and was pleasantly surprised. Again, it has limitations on streaming from a local server, but for net content, it was really decent.
 
The new Roku 3 is really good, too. I used one recently and was pleasantly surprised. Again, it has limitations on streaming from a local server, but for net content, it was really decent.

The Roku 3 doesn't really have any limitation on streaming from a local server provided you use Plex.
 
I recommend this:
kdLinks HD680 Extreme Network 1080P HD Media Player w/ Realtek 1185 & Built-In Wifi

This is what I have been using for a few months now. It has some quirks but overall has been a reliable media player that can handle whatever I throw at it, in full 1080p. Has the special deep color settings. Has optical s/pdif port. Two USB ports and the ability to hook up a blue ray drive or hard drive tower through a special hookup. Remote is easy to use and has held up really well so far. Overall I've been very pleased with it and can recommend it with confidence. Oh and be sure you are getting the white unit, not the black.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top