• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WD (not) aligning: consequences?

Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
2
I installed and formatted a new WD disk (Caviar green) WD10EARS (1T) in my PC. OS is windows XP. The drive is a secondary drive (no OS), and I already copied ~500 GB onto it.
Only then did I learn that I should have run the align program.

What are the consequences of not running that program? Is my data safe? And can I run align with a non-empty drive?

Thanks!
 
WD also has a tool on their website to adjust the alignment. You have to have the drive registered (it is a limited download), but it will fix the alignment without re-formating.
 
I haven't used WD align, but gparted, once, and it took forever for a drive with data. I had backups. A HDD is never "safe".
 
Registered HD, downloaded WD align.
Ran for about 4 hours, finished, everything seems OK.
Thanks!
 
Back
Top