• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WD Extended Test running on 2TBs

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
3,000
So has anyone ran the Western Digital Extended test on a 2TB hard drive? How long does it take? I've been running it for 22 hours on a 2TB Black drive. Is it too long? Theres no estimated time remaining though.
 
Mine have needed about 5-6 hours through a SATA interface, and I'd expect a USB 3.0 external to do about the same, provided the computer also has a USB 3.0 interface.

OTOH a USB 2.0 interface often tops out at 20MB/s to 35MB/s, or 20-30 hours. USB 2.0 ports often run at USB 1.1 speed, at least with Windows XP. Oddly, I never experienced that under Windows 98SE with VIA or NEC drivers, except when I use a cable not marked as supporting USB 2.0 high speed.
 
A SATA long test (what the extended test really is) should take less than 8 hours on a 2TB drive.
 
Thanks all. After going for 26+ hours, I knew something was wrong. I had a crazy notion that maybe the software was out of date (not sure when it was installed but since the quick test ran fine, I assumed it was OK). I upgraded the software to the latest found on WDs site and sure enough, it works.
 
If you are trying to check if the drive is working and there is nothing valuable on the drive do a full format and look at the SMART with a program like CrystalDiskInfo. This will tell you if the drive thinks its operating abnormally.
 
Back
Top