• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WD Drive OEM VS. RETAIL

Decay

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 31, 2003
Messages
112
I was seraching on new egg for a new HD, and I decided to get a WD 200GB SATA drive. Now Im wondering should I get the OEM drive for ~$120.00 or get the Retail for ~$180.00

So what Im wondering is is it worth the extra 60 bucks for the Data Lifeguard Tools, SecureConnect, FlexPower, Point-to-point bus configuration, and Hot plug support features with the retail box?
 
Go OEM. You get a longer warranty (3 years OEM vs. 1 year retail). All that other stuff isn't worth the cost, as it's all junk.
 
You can download the Data Lifeguard tools and all other utilities for free on WD's website, anyway. Go OEM.
 
I also say go OEM normally cheaper and like [Tripod]MajorPayne must utilities can be downloaded for free from website.
 
ONE important consideration....

Retail boxes NORMALLY include the molex-to-SATA power lead. If your PSU doesnt already have those built in, its going to require a $3 converter.

I dont know if this makes a difference, but it used to be a sticking point when SATA first hit the market, eveyone buying OEM drives didnt realize the power leads were different.

If you got SATA power leads on your PSU, you're golden, buy OEM, save $60. If you dont, buy OEM _plus_ a sata power lead adapter for $3. You only saved $57 :D

Oh make sure you have a SATA cable... they arent included either... (another $3 part) so, at worst, you only save $54 :p
 
cool, thanks every1... thats what I was thinking. I usually go OEM on all parts, I just wasnt sure with SATA since its new to me really. All Ill be needing is just the SATA cable, my PSU allready has the SATA power leads so Im set on that :D
 
Bullitt said:
ONE important consideration....

Retail boxes NORMALLY include the molex-to-SATA power lead. If your PSU doesnt already have those built in, its going to require a $3 converter.

I dont know if this makes a difference, but it used to be a sticking point when SATA first hit the market, eveyone buying OEM drives didnt realize the power leads were different.

If you got SATA power leads on your PSU, you're golden, buy OEM, save $60. If you dont, buy OEM _plus_ a sata power lead adapter for $3. You only saved $57 :D

Oh make sure you have a SATA cable... they arent included either... (another $3 part) so, at worst, you only save $54 :p

All of my SATA WD drives allow you to use the older molex connectors which are a lot more sturdy. The only advantage SATA power connections have is they are designed to be hot swappable.
 
Buy OEM. It was rather interesting, My OEM Seagate drives ended up screwing up, so I RMA'ed them only to get back my 2 new drives in Retail boxes. Haha. Score.
 
Back
Top