WD diagnostics error code 223

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Rakinos, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Rakinos

Rakinos [H]ard|Gawd

So I'm trying to fix a computer, that "stopped working" (endless reboot loop @ windows loading screen) when the plugbar was switched while it was on (thats the story I was given). After running an extended test, it gave error code 0223. According to to western digital's site:

223 Errors Repaired Errors found, but have been repaired successfully. There were media errors that were within the repair capabilities of diagnostic utility. The drive should now be defect free. Test complete Defect Free

Now, can I assume that the hard drive is now fine, and more errors won't crop up in the future? Has anyone experienced this before? This is the first time running one of these utilities has actually done something more than just letting me know the drive is dead.

2. Cerulean

Cerulean [H]ardForum Junkie

New Western Digital Blue 160GB IDE HDD and I can't install pfSense on this drive. ViVard and GSmartControl for Quick/Extended/Conveyance tests came out clean and error-free. Did several high-level formats and still no dice.

Ran the WD Data Lifeguard (DLG) from Ultimate Boot CD v5.0.2 and found nothing on Quick test, but found something on Extended test, repaired it and gave error code of 0223. "ERRORS FOUND - THE DRIVE HAS BEEN REPAIRED." According to http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp on the error code: "Errors found, but have been repaired successfully. There were media errors that were within the repair capabilities of diagnostic utility. The drive should now be defect free."

It would be nicer if it would specifically mention what the error(s) are/were. Going to try and install pfSense now..

EDIT: No dice. :( Trying a different non-WD HDD to see if I get the same problems (and if I do, it's probably a setting in BIOS I need to change, ie. disabling AHCI or whatever).
    EDIT2: Different drive worked, but had bootup problems. :X

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

No. Monitor the smart data to see if the drive is reporting more bad sectors or other problems over time.

No way. You can not be assured that with any drive brand new or 5 years old.