wd-40 affecting paint

poddo

2005 [H]orde|Bowl Champion
Joined
May 1, 2005
Messages
464
OK, so my side panel is brushed aluminum (its a black praetorian), and I'm cutting a side window. If I use WD-40 to lubricate the cut (with a jigsaw) is that going to affect the paint?
 
poddo said:
OK, so my side panel is brushed aluminum (its a black praetorian), and I'm cutting a side window. If I use WD-40 to lubricate the cut (with a jigsaw) is that going to affect the paint?

The Praetorian (even the black one) isn't "painted" and no, you won't have a problem with it.

HOWEVER one thing to note about using a jig saw when trying to make sure the surface of your work peice doesn't get scratched up is tape the shit out of everything. I recommend painters tape, if you don't the trail of the jigzaw tends to leave scratches, something I'm sure you don't want.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
The Praetorian (even the black one) isn't "painted" and no, you won't have a problem with it.

HOWEVER one thing to note about using a jig saw when trying to make sure the surface of your work peice doesn't get scratched up is tape the shit out of everything. I recommend painters tape, if you don't the trail of the jigzaw tends to leave scratches, something I'm sure you don't want.

Also, cut from the back! But be careful on a workhorse or whatever surface you're cutting on for scratches from cut metal, also watch out for bending.

I own the praetorian too, I hate it, but I have done a lot of modding to it too.
 
WD40 should not affect the paint but if I remember correctly, it does turn black/dark brownish after a while so be sure to clean it properly.
 
as long as you get it off within 2-3 hours, it wont absorb into the paint. any longer and you risk de-colorization... but if you use painters tape and wipe it off fast it wont be a problem.
 
Back
Top