WD 2TB Black or RE?

cpthk

Weaksauce
I am planning on getting a 2TB hard drive. Based on the current price on Amazon, the price difference is so little. The RE drives are much more durable. Is there still a reason to get the Black over the RE? Is Black faster than RE in general?

WD Black 2TB, WD2003FZEX, $156.99 on Amazon
WD RE 2TB, WD2000FYYZ, $163.95 on Amazon

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Where is the information that the RE are more reliable? I would go with the cheaper of the two models, unless you specifically need the TLER features of the RE drives.

Where is the information that the RE are more reliable? I would go with the cheaper of the two models, unless you specifically need the TLER features of the RE drives.

The RE drives have higher load/unload cycles and ability to resist the environment vibrations. They also do extra testings versus the consumer drives before shipment. At least this is what WD claimed for.

RE drives are presumed to be more reliable for high end systems with lots of IOps per WD, if you don't need the tested stability go with the blacks :D

RE drives are presumed to be more reliable for high end systems with lots of IOps per WD, if you don't need the tested stability go with the blacks :D

I do leave my computer on 24/7 (for my other computers to access files). But I don't do a lot of reads/writes, only about 500MB-1GB a day. Do I need the RE?

The RE drives have higher load/unload cycles and ability to resist the environment vibrations. They also do extra testings versus the consumer drives before shipment. At least this is what WD claimed for.

I don't buy that. My anecdotal evidence from going through many drives is they either fail early (within a year), fail just about the end of the warranty or they go for the long haul. I have also never had a working HD failed without ample warning. The ones that failed without warning just never worked. Vibration is usually only a concern if you don't have suitable fasteners for the drives or you have a RACK full of these things. Save your money and get the cheaper drive.

Back