Wd 160gb $59.99 @ Cc

Badger_sly

[H]ard|Gawd
(didn't see this posted)

I just picked up the 160GB WD drive at CC for $59.99 + sales tax.

Went to OM browsing around, saw drive in add for

$179.99 - $20 instant rebate - $70 MIR - $10 MIR = $79.99

Then took OM add and went to CC to pricematch, where they have a $70 MIR and a $30 MIR. So got it for:

$179.99 - $20 OM pricematch - $70 MIR - $30 MIR = $59.99

.37/GB is very good.

**There was a mix of SE and non-SE drives on the shelf, of which I got an SE with a controller card included.

so what is the controller card for? can't this be used on and IDE
controller?

Some computer BIOS' do not support the 48 bit addressing that drives over 137GB are. The controller card supports this but you will need to make sure your OS is patched to support drives over this size too.

Here's a FAQ from Western Digital.

Originally posted by 99rollaguy
is this HD any good? I'm thinkin abuot gettin it strictly for storage.

yep, i'm running one right now.

that 70 rebate came pretty quick too.

:two thumbs up on this deal:

i was able to PM to sams club as it is about a mile away from my local officemax. Brings the total down to about 35 for me. The drive no longer shows up on sams club website, so i had to go to the store, and bother an employee for a copy of the price paper that they have hanging over the drives. weighed in about 40 bucks less than the OM price... can't find the reciept as of now.

tips... you can get into sams club even without a membership, you just have to pay 10% more than the sticker price. If you act like you are looking for your card in your wallet and say something like "I'll find it before i go to check out" when walking in, they usually don't give you the sales pitch thingee that they do. (they check your card because you NEED one (actual card or a visitor's card) to check out at the register, not b/c they are some secret society)

more tips... Buy the drive at OM, go back later that night or the next day and go into the store with the reciept only (leave drive and rebate forms in the car/truck/suv/bike) say something like

"I was in Sams club doing some shopping with my wife, and was very surpised to see that they carried hard drives. They acutually have it for much cheaper than you guys do, so i was trying to decide if i should buy one there, when i remembered that you have a pricematching policy"

PM tips continued... Don't mention rebates, go to the service desk, not the IT isle (b/c those guys know about the rebates), younger reps tend to give in easier (esp females), If they do know about the rebates and try to argue, say are lazy like most people and usually don't send those things in... you want the cheaper out-the-door price.

other PM tips. I've PMed at many different stores, for many different products. I've been successful at PM'ing EVERY TIME when i was professionally dressed!!! I have to wear dress pants and a white shirt/tie to work, in work clothes I've NEVER been turned down for a PM (at least 10 times, probably 15). I've had about a 3 in 5 success rate when in t-shirt/jeans. (60%)

I know this deal will not work for everyone. Good luck. Gheez.. I think i just wrote a PM tutorial... i might be posting most of this info on another thread, possibly even FW an B$ (fatwallet.com and bargainshare.com - other deal sites i frequent)

I tried PMing at CC before and they said that since Staples' price of the Router (including IR and MIR) was the same price of thier's (including 2 MIRs) that they wouldn't PM it, even though Staples had an out the door price that was lower than CC's out the door price.

So with that said... I would have to say YMMV.

I still might try it. Hopefully, i will get a different person that will PM it down to $59.99.

Back