• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

WCing questions from a WCing n00b

Psychor

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
388
Hi all.

Besides doing a lot of reading on WCing I'm a WC virgin. However, I plan to change that in the near future. So with that in mind please bear with me if the answers to my questions seem obvious. ;)

My current plan is to initially only WC my Q6600 and an ATI 4870X2. If I push my CPU any further I'll include the NB. My current setup can be found in my signature.

The shopping list:

CPU block: D-TEK FuZion v2 Universal or EK Supreme Universal (evidently the D-TEK doesn't behave with the BP comp. fittings below but there is a new BP 45 fitting that will let it work)
Pump: Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC
Pump top: EK-D5 X-Top
Rad: Feser X-Changer Triple 120mm
Res: EK-RES250 Rev.2 Multi-Option
Tubing: Tygon A-60-G Norprene (1/2" ID, 3/4" OD)
Fittings: Bits Power Compression Fitting (G 1/4" thread, 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD)
GFX full cover block: Danger Den DD-4870-X2 or EK-FC4870 X2 - CF Nickel

The questions:

Q1: Reservoir should be higher and before the pump input - check. But does the order of devices being cooled (e.g., CPU, GPU, etc.) within a single internal loop (all parts internal to a case) have a large impact on cooling specific parts or does the temperature tend to equalize out? For example, in a single loop (no splits) some people place the CPU before the GPU and vice verse.

Q2: I plan to use BP 1/2" ID 3/4 OD" compression fittings with Tygon 1/2" ID" 3/4" OD tubing. Am I correct in assuming there shouldn't be a fitting issue between two?

Q3: Do pretty much all the custom pump "tops" (e.g., Petra, EK, etc.) support the BP compression fitting I listed above? I originally was going to go with a stock Laing D5 Vario pump but I like the idea of being able to use compression fitting even if it means I have to add a custom "top."

Q4: I'm not interested in dyes but what do you recommend for coolant/additives and why?

Any additional comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Q1: Reservoir should be higher and before the pump input - check. But does the order of devices being cooled (e.g., CPU, GPU, etc.) within a single internal loop (all parts internal to a case) have a large impact on cooling specific parts or does the temperature tend to equalize out? For example, in a single loop (no splits) some people place the CPU before the GPU and vice verse.

I have always done rez, pump, cpu, gpu, rad, rez but i know people who switch the cpu and gpu around so it really does not matter.

Q2: I plan to use BP 1/2" ID 3/4 OD" compression fittings with Tygon 1/2" ID" 3/4" OD tubing. Am I correct in assuming there shouldn't be a fitting issue between two?

These tubing should be fine for what you are doing and there will not be a fitting issue.

Q3: Do pretty much all the custom pump "tops" (e.g., Petra, EK, etc.) support the BP compression fitting I listed above? I originally was going to go with a stock Laing D5 Vario pump but I like the idea of being able to use compression fitting even if it means I have to add a custom "top."

Yes they support BP compressions fittings, either way, the D5 is and excellent pump

Q4: I'm not interested in dyes but what do you recommend for coolant/additives and why?

The base mix i always do is Steam distilled water and biocide. Those are the staples; the water for its lack of conductivity and the biocide to kill any bacteria that might grow. Then you can add like tracer dyes, a small amount of anti-freeze and so on. When i get home i will find the link to the water mix lab and it will help you build your best mix of water for your system.

Any additional comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Now for the add ons...
I would be concerned only using 1 360 rad just because you are running a quad and a dual gpu gfx card. that will kick off alot of heat and could cause issues. That is really the only major concern that i see with your set up right now, but the rest of it seems excellent.
 
Azuros answered your questions just fine... But I've got some things to add.

First, as Azuros said, you're running a Quad and a 4870 X2... That's a good 400w of heat, minimum, 500w if you plan on overclocking... The feser radiator would work fine, but you can save yourself a good 50$ if you have room for a swiftech MCR320 + a swiftech MCR120.
 
I'd never try to run dual GPUs on anything less than a dedicated 3x120, and I'd never put a quad on anything less than a dedicated 2x120... expect near to nil overclocking potential if you want to keep the noise level anywhere below "must wear sealed headphones and turn them up to use the machine".

What fans are you planning on with this?
 
I'd never try to run dual GPUs on anything less than a dedicated 3x120, and I'd never put a quad on anything less than a dedicated 2x120... expect near to nil overclocking potential if you want to keep the noise level anywhere below "must wear sealed headphones and turn them up to use the machine".

What fans are you planning on with this?

120mm Scythe SFF21F S-FLEX fans.
 
Bitspower will soon be releasing an awesome DD 5 pump enclosure that will allow you use to G 1/4 thread barbs (think DD 5 pump in a chromed housing with compression fittings) . . .
 
Bitspower will soon be releasing an awesome DD 5 pump enclosure that will allow you use to G 1/4 thread barbs (think DD 5 pump in a chromed housing with compression fittings) . . .

Interesting. Do you have any more information or pictures? :D That would mean I could pass on the EK-D5 X-Top which I only want so I can use compression fittings.
 
Interesting. Do you have any more information or pictures? :D That would mean I could pass on the EK-D5 X-Top which I only want so I can use compression fittings.

I am waiting for pics from Bitspower, Will post them when I get them
 
I run an OC Q6600 on a dual 120mm Swiftech radiator and it works just fine.

I have also had an 8800 GTX in the same loop and found no real problem keeping both quite cool.

The 4870 X2s are real heaters...........I have two of them air cooling and they run pretty hot.
You'll probably need a bit more just due to the 4870.:D

Oh yeah, I use Swiftech Hydrx additive, I have never had any issues with it, no contamination, added to distilled water as directed. You just have to like green.
 
Back
Top