• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WCG vs F@H

lelliott731

[H]ard DCOTM April 2017
Joined
Mar 15, 2002
Messages
941
Do you guys think it's a better deal to use WCG for my CPU threads instead of F@H? Doesn't seem like they are doing a whole lot with F@H CPU these days, mainly using GPU's?
 
With A7 core they implemented newer AVX instead of SSE, which quite boost the performance (and points). But yeah, focus is more on GPU.

But it get sometimes tricky to get WU assigned as more and more primes getting invalid. Only multiple of 2 and 3 get assignents. 5, 7 and multiple of those often run empty. The single thread approach from WCG sure helps in such cases.

It remain personal preference to me. I still run FAH also for CPU; but moved one 6C/12T to WCG.
They crunch all peaceful together
 
Thanks for the feedback, going to play around with which boxes do best with what clients & combinations
 
I would not mix FAH and BOINC/WCG in one box. Have done that once I think even with GPU , both projects tried to grap the hardware and started their thing. Worked, but sloooooow. If you spend enough time to clearly define the resources allows it's ok. But better have dedicated box for FAH and dedicated for WCG/BOINC.

The gpugrid box happy contribute also to WCG; that's fine
 
I run multiple rigs that do both F@H and WCG.

Just make sure you dedicate at least one core per GPU for F@H on rigs that are sharing CPU resources. So basically if you have a quad core CPU and 2 GPUS. Set WCG to run 2 tasks on the CPU only. F@H will use the other 2 cores for it's GPU computing.

My daily rig has 2x 970 GPUs and a quad core processor. I have 2 cores dedicated to WCG. F@H runs on the GPUs and my CPU usage runs at 100%. The only time I notice any kind of slow down is when I try to play a graphically intensive game. Pausing F@H while I play solves the issue completely.
 
I run multiple rigs that do both F@H and WCG.

Just make sure you dedicate at least one core per GPU for F@H on rigs that are sharing CPU resources. So basically if you have a quad core CPU and 2 GPUS. Set WCG to run 2 tasks on the CPU only. F@H will use the other 2 cores for it's GPU computing.

My daily rig has 2x 970 GPUs and a quad core processor. I have 2 cores dedicated to WCG. F@H runs on the GPUs and my CPU usage runs at 100%. The only time I notice any kind of slow down is when I try to play a graphically intensive game. Pausing F@H while I play solves the issue completely.

I also run both in the same box, FAH on a 980Ti and BOINC on 2 cores of a 3570k In linux. Been like that for over a year. A GTX570 was in it for awhile during the winter so it either ran BOINC on 3 threads and 570 or BOINC on just 2 threads. I have also done it with my 1070/970 + 3770k in Windows. Win7 box I use Process Lasso to keep it separated better cause...windows.
 
Back
Top