WCG Team Challenges

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
I see our Captain has us entered in some Team Challenges on the Grid. Time to see how our small band of merry misfits stacks up against some of the other teams. Visit your "My Team" page for complete details and keep those boxen crunching!

Thanks Hito!

Current running challenge is WCG SPORTS SSC PreQual 5. It started yesterday and runs for 6 days. It's a "results returned" challenge. We're currently in 2nd place out of 58 teams, so not too bad of a showing.

It looks like we're entered in 5 additional challenges along with this one. One starting on the 26th, a Thanksgiving Day race on the 27th and three running concurrently starting on the 29th.

All the races are pretty short at one day each except this current one. It gets the team name out there in some competition though so I think it's a great idea.

Crunch On!

im going to be picking up a bunch of thumb drives at costco during black friday so i can get my borg up and running on WCG (none of the machines have HD's - they were all setup to netboot FAH) but im going to load up a tiny version of XP and WCG on each thumb drive and get them crunching :)

but that wont be till monday

im going to be picking up a bunch of thumb drives at costco during black friday so i can get my borg up and running on WCG (none of the machines have HD's - they were all setup to netboot FAH) but im going to load up a tiny version of XP and WCG on each thumb drive and get them crunching :)

Nice! Sounds like a great way to setup XP and WCG easily.

Are you doing an XP Lite setup or what? I'd be interested in how this works out..

but that wont be till monday

That's alright.. you'll be ready for the next round. Depending on how many borgs your setting up I guess I'll be scheduling a mowing soon eh?

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up nomad! Come on all your WCG'ers! Time to maximize performance. I'll be out of town, but my machines will still be processing away! :)

I just shut my F@H SMP clients down to run WCG for a bit. Thought I'd try and help out a little with the contests.

I'll try to keep up with entering us in the contests. Added another computer to WCG myself.

Thanks for the "heads up" brother nomad8u. You are definitely "tha' man" when it comes to anything even closely related to WCG. :D

I know this may be a little off topic, but has anyone reported the Linux version of WCG behaving as a more efficient OS for WCG like it does for F@H SMP How about the CPUGRID deal ? Do you have any info on the quality and stableness of their clients (Linux) :confused:

Man, I'm startin' to love this WCG. No lags, no instibility, no problemos at all :p
Thanks for any reply. :)

DCing for the CURE

I know this may be a little off topic, but has anyone reported the Linux version of WCG behaving as a more efficient OS for WCG like it does for F@H SMP How about the CPUGRID deal ? Do you have any info on the quality and stableness of their clients (Linux) :confused:

I don't know about more efficient, but it's no worse. For either OS, the 64 bit version is more efficient. I'm not sure if Boincview works with Linux though if you use that.

I have NO idea about the GPUGrid at all.

I
I have NO idea about the GPUGrid at all.

Wow :eek: You are "da' man" as far as WCG goes brother nomad8u ;) Thanks for the speedy reply. Youse' ain't the only one that is on the "short" side of knowledge concering the CPUGRID deal :(

Contrary to popular belief I was not thinking of getting outa' GPU2 F@H. I'm gonna' use my computers the best way I can to help find the cure for some very fu*ked up diseases. I was just curious that CPUGRID could have a "stand alone" client for helping medical science with a "CUDA" capable card using the Linux OS. (a little less expensive than 'dose) :D

DCing to help medical science whip the crap outa' some diseases

GPUGRID uses a tweaked beta version of the BOINC client for windows and linux. I fired it up and ran a couple units on my 8800GS that won't fold to see if it was a hardware issue or a folding issue. I didn't run it for long, but it ran fine.

Like Stanford, the results from GPUGRID and PS3GRID work are published, you can find their papers here to see what they've done to date, and what they're currently looking at is here.

And back on topic, I see the Horde is currently #2 in the challenge. Keep it up!

ill switch teams for the challenge and help out later today stupid updating stats crap..

if i get lucky and all the projects i have pending validate today it should add about 40 more to the total.. but the way its been going they wont be validated for a few more days..

i have an x2 6400+, x2 be-2350 @ 2.68ghz, and sempron 3100+ at 2.6ghz going right now.. did have a couple of my laptops on WCG but the temps were starting to scare me so i had to stop those..

Thanks for the help fellas! Maybe we can make a push toward the top spot! :)

Great job gang.. thanks for the support!

First two are finished. We took 2nd place in both. Great showing!

Four of the WCG Sports Prequals are in progress ending on 11/30. We're in 1st place on three of them and second on the other.

Four more are scheduled. All are longer challenges at about a month each.

Thanks Captain Hito Bahadur for letting us spread our wings a little (get experience in WCG contests :D). "Get the woman and chillin' off of the streets 'cause we's just a' warmin' up" ;)

Hey brother nomad8u for us "no farther than high school challenged" what's a "Prequal" (as in "WCG Sports Prequals" :confused: It ain't X rated is it :eek:

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Hey brother nomad8u for us "no farther than high school challenged" what's a "Prequal" (as in "WCG Sports Prequals" :confused: It ain't X rated is it :eek:

I'm guessing it's Pre-qualifying for something. What that something is, I haven't a clue.

30 of the 59 projects i had waiting to be validated were validated and added to the stats today.. made a nice jump for results being returned..

hmmmm . . . I might have to see if I can add another boxen or two. ;)

in the 3 days ive been on the team ive already added 61k points.. but its not enough.. :(

Any points are good points. Thanks for helping!!

How come I dont see you on the Team HardOCP stats page?
http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?p=2602&tid=1411

the unofficial WCG thing on the hardfolding stats isnt even close to what WCG actually shows on my stats page which is only 48k points going to the team.. so it looks to me the way the stats page on hardfolding determines points is based on the claimed points per project instead of granted points per project..
joined total run time points results returned
sirmonkey
white.gif
11/28/08
white.gif
0:021:01:08:46
white.gif
48,031 66

but i have no clue why im not showing up on the stats page....

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/stat/viewMemberInfo.do?userName=sirmonkey

the unofficial WCG thing on the hardfolding stats isnt even close to what WCG actually shows on my stats page which is only 48k points going to the team.. so it looks to me the way the stats page on hardfolding determines points is based on the claimed points per project instead of granted points per project..
joined total run time points results returned
sirmonkey
white.gif
11/28/08
white.gif
0:021:01:08:46
white.gif
48,031 66

but i have no clue why im not showing up on the stats page....

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/stat/viewMemberInfo.do?userName=sirmonkey

King only updates once per day at 9PM pacific. WCG updates twice per day. I have no idea either why you're not showing up on Hardfolding.

I use the EOC equivalent of WCG for stats. Free-DC Stats. It updates pretty regularly. If you use firefox, there's a cool little extension called Boinc Stats that works great.

yeah i just go and check it on WCG.. takes about 10 seconds to click the shortcut on the top menu bar of FF..

and just as a note.. the stats that show up on the hardfolding page are incorrect.. they arent showing the correct stats.. its showing what the total stats are instead of what is actually being granted.. guessing it has something do with the old UD style point system..

yeah i just go and check it on WCG.. takes about 10 seconds to click the shortcut on the top menu bar of FF..

Thanks for the link to Free DC Stats. I have never been there. Kind of a nice site to get all your info in one place.:) Looks like sirmonkey is on those stats. I just wanted to make sure his points were being credited to the Horde! We need some help in these challenges. I just added another part time Athlon X2 to the cause.

Grid on! :D

Results are in on the first six Challenge Races: #1 - 1st place finish, #3 - 2nd place finishes, #1 - 14th place finish and #1 - 17th place finish. Not too bad a showing!

If you happen to look at the results on our Challenge History you'll probably notice their wrong (if you bring up each race to see the results) like I did. I addressed it on the support forum and it turns out there is a known bug that will be fixed soon.

Looking at our current races for the month of December (4 challenge races) we're holding 1st in 3 of them and 4th in the Christmas Challenge. There's some "heavy hitters" in the Christmas Challenge so 4th is pretty respectable IMHO.

Nice job to all and thanks to those contributing.

You're folding for team 613 ([H]ardOCP) ... not team 1411 (HardOCP).

There was a thread out there talking about which team is the non-official Horde WCG team. I believe the conclusion was the team started by Hito Bahadur which is 1411.

yes i know i was folding on kings non official team.. i switched to help out with the challanges.. and yes im on team 1411 right now..

edit... added 2 more laptops a pentium m 1.7ghz and an athlon xp 2400 barton mobile.. they arent much but together they should equal the same output as my sempron 3100+ at 3.1ghz at 1/5th of the amount of power..

Just a note. I didn't start the current default team. I took it over from a member that had fallen silent. There were a couple of HardOCP teams at the time and we resolved to make the team with the most points/active members the default team.

Just don't want to receive credit for something I didn't do.

Added a few more challenges for the WCGers out there. Sorry. I've been quiet but still actively folding.

Our 1st Quarter 09 Challenge is ending at the end of March. Great job. We are going to end up in second. First for second quarter?

I will hopefully be able to add more in a few weeks. I built a dedicated boxen with an AMD PII 940BE (OC to 3.4 on stock HSF & stock voltage, woudl go higher, but MSI hasn't put out a bios that actually recognizes this chip) on an MSI K9A2. The AMD cannot produce squat. I'm not entirely sure what the hell is wrong with it, but my Intel Q6600 @ 3.2 puts out more than it does by a very very very large margin. I have got another Intel Core i7 920 waiting in the wings to replace it. Now THAT chip has some serious WCG production. Just need the funds for a new x58 MoBo and TR AXP-140 for the server case.

i love my 940BE @ 3.5ghz 1.424v thing owns compared to that pos be-2350@ 3.05ghz i had.. though i havent run it on a WCG project yet.. but its 80% faster then my be-2350 on SoB.. so i expect it to be faster on WCG.. come april 1st ill find out though.. since its sitting idle right now trying to save me some money on my electricity bill for the month..

i may switch to a different MoBo that will recognize the chip. MsI is terrible about bios updates.

Congats to all you unselfish DCers out there. We's definitely smokin' in the WCG department. I was just rereading this thread and I made a statement "I would never stop folding", what I meant was, I'd never stop DCing and trying to help medical science find some cures thru DCing. :p

Since I've had nothing but hassles with the Stanford F@H program and they act like they don't really give a shite
anyhoo, I've dedicated my 4x boxen to 24/7 WCG. (2x 6600's, a E6600 and a E6420) I got EUE's on WinSMP and now I can't even get WU's for my GPU's with GPU2 F@H :(.

I did save some major bucks though, now I ain't sweatin' or payin' any attention to the new mega expensive GPU card (before F@H GPU2 I just used a lower/mid range card or onboard graphics for DCing) :rolleyes:

DCing for the CURE

Back