WCG may be down... just an FYI

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
I just got in from an overnight shift and as usual checked on the farm before hitting the rack for some serious sack time. What do I find? I've got 12 completed WU sitting in my queue with "uploading" status next to them. Hmmmm.. check my logs and sure enough, it looks like not one out of 4 PCs are able to connect to the grid to upload results. I fired up the browser and can't get to WCG's site or forums so I have no idea what's up but they appear to be hard down.

So just a heads-up for the WCG crew. By my logs it looks like they've been down since about 4:30AM EST.

What I really find cool though (this is the first "hiccup" I've seen in WCG/Boinc in the past month and a half running it) is all 4 systems are crunching away happily thanks to the ability to be able to have additional work queued up for just such issues. Two quads have 1.5 days worth of work left in their queue and the other two systems have just over 18 hours each queued up. Depending on the extent of the outage, I may increase my queues out to 2 days each on the quads and maybe 1.5 days on the duallie and P4. We'll see. I am surprised to say though that I'm impressed so far with the contrast between WCG and F@H in this scenario.... if this was a major server outage at Stanford I'd have idle systems by now (for the GPU client anyway) unless it was an SMP outage. Nice...

and.... whatever happened, they're back up now. No info to be had yet on the forums as to what happened but it was a pretty quick turnaround I guess. It was down for at least 4 hours though.

Love that work queue!

Back