WCG: Clean Energy Project launch

I got one this morning ... 24+ hours estimate on my Sempron 2500+ box.

Thanks. I am happy to be aboard. Just got my home studio PC running WCG when idle.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.. I've been working the past couple of days and missed the announcement.

I got one this morning ... 24+ hours estimate on my Sempron 2500+ box.
After reading a couple of the posts in the new forum, it looks like the estimated completion times are a bit skewed due to the project being so new. They should settle down across a few WU. I saw a couple of the estimates were at 50+ hours. They should settle into the 12-24hr range it looked like.

I started WCG yesterday and decided to start off with this project.
Welcome to the team! Glad to have you crunching with us.

Very interesting application of spare processor cycles. This project is hoping to create new solar cells through the application of biological materials instead of synthetic ones? Did I get the premise right?

That's the way I read it. Interesting application if that's what they're going for.

It's nice to see some grant money going to the colleges to work on alternative energy application. I'm assuming of course that they're probably getting grant money to pursue this.

holy crap.. 20 hours estimated on my athlon x2 be-2350 at 2.94ghz.. wow this thing better be worth a crap load of points..

Remember, that to get the new project running on your boxes that you need to add them to the projects that you are participating in.... on the WCG My Projects page.

just switched a couple of cores over to the new CleanEnergy project and signed up for team 1411.

just switched a couple of cores over to the new CleanEnergy project and signed up for team 1411.

Nice. Glad to have you crunching with us. Let us know what you think of the WCG project and the Boinc client in general.

ok the estimated times a wee bit off.. it started at 20 hours i finished the first green energy project in just over 9 hours on my be-2350 @ 2.94Ghz and my 6400+ finished one in 7 1/2 hours..

EDIT *UPDATED AGAIN*
ok just to add a little more information.. the Clean energy project is worth 161.4 points no matter how fast or slow you do the project.. ive now completed 2 of them all requesting various points and they both have been granted 161.4 points.. guess i was wrong about the 161.4 points thing..

Time Claimed/ Granted BOINC Credit
10.04 157.0 / 161.4
13.20 165.8 / 161.4
15.46 293.5 / 301.6
35.19 326.3 / PENDING
22.14 309.8 / 301.6

thats what i have so far..

Remember, that to get the new project running on your boxes that you need to add them to the projects that you are participating in.... on the WCG My Projects page.

I prefer checking this option: Please opt me in to new projects as they become available.

EDIT *UPDATE*
ok just to add a little more information.. the Clean energy project is worth 161.4 points no matter how fast or slow you do the project.. ive now completed 2 of them all requesting various points and they both have been granted 161.4 points..

Claimed/ Granted BOINC Credit
157.0 / 161.4
165.8 / 161.4

i have a third one about finished so ill see if i get the same amount of points..
My experience with them so far..
7.18 hours / claimed 187.5 / granted 196.0
5.92 hours / claimed 152.7 / granted 169.0
3.26 hours / claimed 84.0 / pending
9.77 hours / claimed 257.6 / pending
5.97 hours / claimed 154.1 / granted 171.6
4.76 hours / claimed 122.6 / pending

I may be putting this on my computer soon. I am into this type of program and this one might be nice for my work computer.

Talk about being "slow on the uptake" :rolleyes:. Until I read this post I had no ideer' how many WCG pernts I got per WU or how fast I completed them :(. I'm not going to quote the ole'"I do it only for the science and not the pernts" expression. Obviously, some people do it for just the science and the hell with the pernts. I crunch for the science and get a kind of "instant gratification?" with the WU completion pernts, the speed at which I finish a WU and my rank # in the pernts standings. ;)

The main reason I haven't paid much attention to the WCG WU pernts accreditation thing is between the F@H GPU2 client/s and the WCG client/s I haven't had any problems.(unlike constant EUEing in WinSMP) I just "fire up the programs" (F@H GPU2 and WCG), walk away and forget about them. (obviously I do maintanace, check for hangs, etc)

I appreciate members posting these stats. Thanks

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Back