WC build done... well mostly..

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
The tube from the pump to the CPU block I left long for a reason. I plan to add a video card block but I wont have the funds for a month or so. I did install a drain system to make it real easy to drain the setup. I see a couple things I could have done better but overall I am happy.. temps are great and this pump is just crazy silent even at full speed. I am very very sensitive to noise.. my office is all tile also. I hear everything. Temps are about 15C cooler than my Air cooler. Honestly I think I got a bad seat on the CPU.. plus when I went to apply the paste much more came out than I had intended. Easy fixes later. No leaks so far.

I always thought nothing could be more silent than air cooling.. especially at idle and mainly because every pump I have ever heard has made a noise I did not like. I do not care for DDC pumps.. even the PWM version I played with was high pitched. I used my Nexus drive silencer bushings to add extra isolation on the bracket that holds the pump/res. This setup is VERY quiet.. even under load.

Looks beautiful Copyright. Would you mind doing a list of your parts and around how much it cost you? I've been secretly lurking these sections since guys were debating how to make homemade water blocks. ;) One day something is liable to show up at my front door. Also is adding more parts later on a pain or is it just as easy as doing it while you were building it?

Looks beautiful Copyright. Would you mind doing a list of your parts and around how much it cost you? I've been secretly lurking these sections since guys were debating how to make homemade water blocks. ;) One day something is liable to show up at my front door. Also is adding more parts later on a pain or is it just as easy as doing it while you were building it?

Well if I had not setup a drain it would be a little more work for sure to add onto the system. there are other options like quick disconnects etc.. I was trying to keep it simple and silent. I spent way more than I wanted to... about $650 so far.. will be over 800$ when I add the gpu block and back plate I want.. I also need to buy some Vardar white fans for my 240mm rad.. thats another $50 ill have to add also. One thing I will say its Bitspower makes some great fittings but I shaved 30$ off my fittings using XSPC for my straights. 30$ doesnt seem like much on a 650$ build but it was enough to give me room to buy some Mayhems Pastel Purple.

EKWB 140 REVO D5 PWM Pump/Res combo sleeved + mounting bracket
EK Supremacy EVO nickel water block
Black Ice Nemesis WHITE 280GTX Radiator (using existing Noctua Redux PWM fans)
Black Ice Nemesis WHITE 240GTX (unsure of 120mm fans maybe fanless until video card gets in loop)
Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing
XSPC 3/8ID 5/8OD Black Chrome compression fittings
Bitspower 90degree adapter fitting in sparkly black chrome (matches close to XSPC color)
Mayhem Silver kill coil (should I use this even though I have Mahem Pastal coolant?)
Mayhem Pastel coolant 1 Liter ... got 2 of these to make sure I had enough.
XSPC T fitting with needed fittings to make it work for drain area
Bitspower Valve for drain area to make for easy draining
Small plastic funnel

Guess I'll start collecting some parts soon enough after I set some goals. Thank you!

Guess I'll start collecting some parts soon enough after I set some goals. Thank you!

No problem.. watch a ton of videos and read as much as you can in the forums.. there is a lot to learn. I think I did ok for my first time. Hope to have the GPU waterblock soon!

Yea given the tubing choice I would have gone with plain distilled water. Looks very clean though!

Yep, really 0 point in using inferior colored coolant over distilled with solid tubing like that. Last time i used a colored coolant, i had to take every water cooling piece out during the rebuild, and wash the shit out because it kept dying my distilled water a tint of red because some of the red dye was gunked up in the radiators after a year. Never again.

Yep, really 0 point in using inferior colored coolant over distilled with solid tubing like that. Last time i used a colored coolant, i had to take every water cooling piece out during the rebuild, and wash the shit out because it kept dying my distilled water a tint of red because some of the red dye was gunked up in the radiators after a year. Never again.

This is Mayhems pastel which has a pretty good track record and is far from inferior since it does contain bioscide and other additives to make it last. I have not heard of any cases where Mayhems pastel was gunking up but I do plan on doing a yearly tear down and probably flush in between even tho most running Patel have no issues running a full year or longer.

Last edited:
Yea given the tubing choice I would have gone with plain distilled water. Looks very clean though!

Thx, I wanted bit of color but didn't want to risk clear tubing that could change color. Lot of guys are running Mayhems pastel with no gunking.. my water blocks aren't clear or the tubing so if it turns things a little purple it's no big deal a all.

I added the video card into the loop.. this is what it looks like now. I am also about to put the drain valve hanging off a 90 on the T fitting to clean up the drain system. It will be on a bitspower swivel 90 so I just turn it outward and hook up a drain hose and all is good. I also have 3 LInus Noctua fans on order I plan to put white corners on... this will be for the top radiator that is currently fanless and for the rear exhaust as well.

Well I thought I was done.. updated the drain valve setup.. didn't like the look of the tube laying in the bottom of the case so I used a bitspower swivel 90 that I can swivel out to drain.

Well I did some more.. clear GPU block.. Clear side piece on video card.. some new sleeved cables.. new Noctua fans with white corners.. changed the drain system up again. This is my favorite setup so far..

The drain setup looks to be a lot better positioned now.
The last 90 you had with the knob up top looked like an accident waiting to happen.

The drain setup looks to be a lot better positioned now.
The last 90 you had with the knob up top looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Yeah, it also didn't feel very secure. This is much more solid although most of those are rotary fittings and can shift all over the place. It seems to stay in place just fine.

Wow gorgeous build Copyright! Really loving the color scheme on it. Very clean looking.

Update.. so far so good with this build.. temps still on track.. noticed the pump tone has changed over time and I find my self slowing it down to around 1,700rpm at idle and have it ramp up from there. I aim for silence so most fans are spinning around 400rpm but rear exhaust fans pins around 600rpm to help move heat out. I keep hearing a few horror stories lately about Mayehms Pastel and gunk build up etc.. I haven't seen anything yet and hope to at least get a year out of this before I tear it down for a cleaning and refill of fresh fluids. Not sure if I will go back with Pastel or maybe try something different.

I would pick something that is simply a dye rather than creating a solid color if you're worried about gunking.​

Yeah, I had thought about that next time around. I like the look of hte Pastel and now there is an extreme version out so who knows. If I don't run into any problems with it I guess there is no need to change. Talked to a couple guys who have ran it as long as 2 years with no temp changes. My concern comes form what I saw happen to Jayz2cents build where it started to turn color.

Tsumi, while I got you in here do you mind taking a look at another issue I am having? This might just be the case of bad luck in the silicone lottery but I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

4690K wont go over 4.3ghz...

Back