Ways to quiet video card fan withought putting on new heatsink?

mtbaird

Gawd
Question is int he title. After i quiet the videocard fan down a bit my PC will be uber quiet. thanks

err... you could try to find some software to control the fan speed, or mod the fan power lead wtih a resistor... but i dunno if i would do either of those, as that fan running at that speed is what the card needs to run reliably...

that probably would mess my card up though since i game every once in a while

how hard is it to change videocard Heatsinks ?

mtbaird said:
that probably would mess my card up though since i game every once in a while

how hard is it to change videocard Heatsinks ?

Not very hard at all. Usually its screws, or push pins. In both cases, both are easy as pie.

If you're not overclocking, you can invest in a Thermaltake Giant III or a Zalman fanless cooler. Then, you'll be even quieter :p

DaLurker said:
If you're not overclocking, you can invest in a Thermaltake Giant III or a Zalman fanless cooler. Then, you'll be even quieter :p
the giant III is garbage. it needs a fan to keep the card cool enough to run (and this was a 9600p) reliably, and the fan is loud as fuck.

just get an arctic silencer. decently quiet, and exhausts the hot air out the back of the case. win win situation

For a 9800 Non-pro? Definitely an old school VGA Silenver rev. 3. I had one on my 9800Pro and it is silent on low and whisper quiet on high. Plus, it cools like a champ :cool:

lithium726 said:
the giant III is garbage. it needs a fan to keep the card cool enough to run (and this was a 9600p) reliably, and the fan is loud as fuck.

just get an arctic silencer. decently quiet, and exhausts the hot air out the back of the case. win win situation

Well I have a Giant II and it keeps my Radeon 9500 cool enough, just realized it's a 9800 though.... lol... yeah get a Arctic Silencer. I got one for my 6800, temps are lower compared to stock.. and it's quieter to boot. The price is pretty good too on a Silencer.

ill consider it, ive heard they are bitches to instlal though

and im jsut guessing its my fan making the noise, i can hear the sound quite audibly while sitting at my comptuer but when i take the side of my case off and hold my ear next to all the compenents i dont hear anything. its real wierd

:(

Another vote for the Silencer. Just dont tighten it down too tight, those 9800 cores crack very easily! The ram modules are pretty easy to rip off also... Yes, I know from experience. I was probably the first person to kill a 9800pro by modding after they were released. :p

hMmMmmmmmmmmMmM so itll eb completely silent?

and its not that hard to install you say? removiing the current hsf seems hard but i guess i can learn

i mean, i did replace the northbridge cooler on my system with a passive one so how hard could it be

mtbaird said:
i mean, i did replace the northbridge cooler on my system with a passive one so how hard could it be
its a bit more complex than the little clips for the NB on teh IS7 series :p

if its anything like my 9600, which im pretty sure it is, you just pull out the two plack pins and gently pull the HSF off the core. its actually almost as simple as the NB HSF, i was honestly thinking about the 9800XT/ X series card's coolers.

aight yah its probably more like the 9600, its just that stock silver rombus shaped one. ill see about chaging the hs i still cant decide

Back