Way to use Nvidia pure video?

qbackin

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
3,150
When I look at videos on the net it does not look clear at all. I have the 7800Gt. How do I make sure it is playing the video at optimal performance? I thought there was something like pure video? LMK thanks.
 
Well, it depends on what types of video you are trying to view. Some are just plain recorded badly, or at a low bit-rate and even PureVideo will have a tough time making these look any better.

If that's not the case, then you may want to set yourself up with the PureVideo decoder software from nVIDIA. It's a separate product you have to purchase if your OEM didn't include it on the CD-ROM that came with your card.

They have a 30 day trial that you can download and use. This in combination with the WMV HD patches recently released by Microsoft will also allow you to hardware accelerate the WMV HD video clips as well (I get typically 43% utilization versus 100% when using the decoder and patches, this is with a 6600GT so it should be even better with a faster card like yours).

If you do a search on the WMV HD threads, you'll find the links to the MS patches.
 
Its too bad you have to pay for the software. I imagine WMP10 isnt the best for playing videos either.
 
I would get it I only get 20% CPU usage with WMV HD. Makes crappy movies look a tad bit better too.
 
PureVideo can be used via a codec.

You have to have WMP 10 + DRM update + PureVideo codec for the whole thing to work.

It only works on mpg2 and DVD, BUT they must be played though WMP 10, or PureVideo won't work.

It's such a hassle to use this darn thing, and I am not paying another $15 for a codec when I just bought a 7800GT.

I will continue to just use Cyberlink + ffdshow until they can find a better way to integrate their $15 codec. :rolleyes:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/170
 
qbackin said:
When I look at videos on the net it does not look clear at all. I have the 7800Gt. How do I make sure it is playing the video at optimal performance? I thought there was something like pure video? LMK thanks.

Pure video only works on MPEG video. This applies to DVD or straight MPG's on your system, but DivX and other codec types are not accelerated or rendered differently by Purevideo acceleration.

Ultra Wide said:
PureVideo can be used via a codec.

You have to have WMP 10 + DRM update + PureVideo codec for the whole thing to work.

It only works on mpg2 and DVD, BUT they must be played though WMP 10, or PureVideo won't work.

It's such a hassle to use this darn thing, and I am not paying another $15 for a codec when I just bought a 7800GT.

I will continue to just use Cyberlink + ffdshow until they can find a better way to integrate their $15 codec. :rolleyes:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/170

You do not need Windows Media Player 10. There is a pure video fix for Windows Media 9. I would strongly suggest going to 10, but I have seen fixes on the net for version 9.
 
Ultra Wide said:
PureVideo can be used via a codec.

You have to have WMP 10 + DRM update + PureVideo codec for the whole thing to work.

It only works on mpg2 and DVD, BUT they must be played though WMP 10, or PureVideo won't work.

It's such a hassle to use this darn thing, and I am not paying another $15 for a codec when I just bought a 7800GT.

I will continue to just use Cyberlink + ffdshow until they can find a better way to integrate their $15 codec. :rolleyes:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/170

You can use PureVideo Decoder in any DirectShow player and all the features will work. The wmp10 requirement is there for the WMV-HD acceleration portion of the "PureVideo System". I can play WMV-HDs in WMP10 while I uninstall the PureVideo Codec and completely delete every file the codec installed, proof enough to me that the PureVideo codec is not required for WMV-HD acceleration.

In summary:
WMV acceleration - requires WMP10 + patches and proper drivers, PureVideo Codec is not required
Mpeg-1/2 & DVD decode and processing - requires DirectShow player (wmp10 is one, windows MCE qualifies, Zoom Player, TheaterTek, etc), PureVideo Codec (formerly nVidia DVD Decoder not to be mistaken for the NVDVD), Geforce6/7 series video card, and proper drivers

The name change from nVidia DVD Decoder to PureVideo Decoder is purely cosmetic. Most likely to get things ready for h.264 support as the introduction of h.264 hardware decode in the forceware 80.40 drivers suggest. Now that is just my guess, so don't go preaching it as fact :p
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
Pure video only works on MPEG video. This applies to DVD or straight MPG's on your system, but DivX and other codec types are not accelerated or rendered differently by Purevideo acceleration.



You do not need Windows Media Player 10. There is a pure video fix for Windows Media 9. I would strongly suggest going to 10, but I have seen fixes on the net for version 9.

PureVideo is actually much more than MPEG video, it's just focused on that primarily at the moment. PureVideo is actually a programable video processing engine, so with software updates, the hardware can be configured to process much more.

If it helps, once you purchase the decoder, you are set for additional upgrades. I had purchased the DVD decoder product earlier and find that the keycode information works just fine for the newer product. One item that is eventually slated for support is H.624 capabilities for the next High Def method of video (possibly used by BlueRay, the next standard for HD DVD, which besides the codec will require new BlueRay HD-DVD drives).

Since PureVideo is also utilized by DirectX, those products that talk directly to the video hardware of the card will be accelerated, so DivX, RealPlayer and others are able to get a boost over a none-video hardware accelerated solution (of course all modern day cards have some level of video acceleration, so outside of HD content it's difficult to see any benefit of one competitors results over another outside of image quality).
 
Back
Top