Way to test for Crossfire working??

WarlordBB

Limp Gawd
I've got my X1800XT Crossfire system _apparently_ working but I still get ~9800 in 3dMark05. Something's definately wrong.

Both my Master and Slave card both seem 100% functional and ATI Tool shows both devices.

In CCC I have a Crossfire selection to my tree and when I select it, I see a checkbox labeled Crossfire Enabled and I can check it (and it stays checked).

However, it doesn't appear to be making any performance difference in my system.

To be sure I just:

1. Installed XP SP2 fresh
2. Installed the IGP Chipset driver from ATI which included Cat 5.13 (should I have used the seemingly outdated one from DFI's site?)
3. Installed the Marvell LAN Driver
4. Let Windows install all updates and then selected optional .NET 1.1
5. Opened CCC and checked Crossfire Enabled (this time it seemed to work from the get go because, I assume, I've got my CF Cable connected properly)
6. Ran 3dMark05 and scored 9756 !!!

Anyone know of a way to be 100% sure that Crossfire is working as expected other than by judging results from benching?

WarlordBB said:
Nevermind. Crossfire is working but my system is obviously having issues.
I almost hit the "buy" button last week at AllstarShop but didn't for some reason. With the impending R580 launch, I am going to hold out, I THINK.

What are your scores now or is the system messed up? I am curious how gaming is too :)

im having issues too. i score 13,800 in 3dmark 2005 but my games have no difference in performance. I even have flickering lines when i do certain things. its annoying.

im wondering if its driver problems, cause its not making any differnece in games at all. its like once card. Im not sure whats wrong, because 3dmark 2005 went from 9.6k to 13.8K.
anyone know?

Funny,,,, complaining about a 13k+ score on an Intel system. I would be very happy!

MaxOut313 said:
I even have flickering lines when i do certain things. its annoying.

welcome to crossfire

i think it has something to do with the external dongle connection or the compositing chip, the whole nature of it

i've experienced what looks like really bad refresh in some games like EQ2, you can actually see the frames flashing

yea thats what im getting in windows too. its only when i do stuff. u think its a driver issue?

Funny shit if you cant tell crossfire is working then whats it matter ? Crack me up

I always voiced my distaste for the way ATi threw together Crossfire. It's sad to see the same trash will be carried over to R580. Brent, are there any indications that ATi will get rid of the dongles, compositing chip and need for a master card with the R600?

5150Joker said:
I always voiced my distaste for the way ATi threw together Crossfire. It's sad to see the same trash will be carried over to R580. Brent, are there any indications that ATi will get rid of the dongles, compositing chip and need for a master card with the R600?
Wouldnt surprise me if they do. I dont get why they just dont beef up the chipset a lot on the motherboards so there doesnt have to be any kind of bridge between the two cards. Dont you have to make profiles for games with crossfire?

Back