Watts per terrabyte

demechman

Weaksauce
I really like the leader board for the most storage in a single chassis. I think this helps push the limits of what is possible. What would be interesting if the top people would then use a device similar to the kill-a-watt and maybe some kind of HDD testing software to estimate power usage. I know there are a lot of factors that can affect the outcome but efficiency becomes a real issue after a few terabytes. It costs a lot of money to run a file server all day and night. I am fascinated by large scale digital storage in general and I like to look at what is possible from all angles.

(edited for grammar Nazis)

There was a thread about this not to long ago.:)
I'm sure one of the more "addicted" forum members will point you to it if you don't find it by the search function.;)

edit: yep, I was right, exactly that was happening as I was correcting MY spelling errors! :D

Wow thanks for the heads up. There are some insane capacities out there. Not all of them seem to be very efficient which was my initial guess.

i need to update the thread with people's latest stats. :eek:

will do it when i get back from holiday .... off to the alps tomorrow for a week of mountain biking. :cool:

Back