Watering cooling a 7970 and cpu??1!?

Sollord

n00b
Would it be possible to realistically water cool a 7970 and FX 8350 using only two 140mm rads?

One of my buddies is thinking of water cooling his system but he's running a HTPC case and can only fit in 2 140mm rads. He's thinking of using water cooling because he's having some thermal issues with the air flow due to the size of the 7970 blocking air reaching the cpu. He wants to cool the gpu and cpu using a dual loop with each loop using only one 140mm rad but I figure he'd be better off just focusing on cooling the cpu since the gpu never has any issues.

What do you all think?

I don't see why not. There are many popular off the shelf cpu all-in-one water cooling units that use a single 120mm radiator. (corsair H80, antec kuhler 620)
I've also heard of folks using a Corsair H60 for a gpu. The temps won't be the best, but it should be viable.

disclaimer: I have no experience with DIY watercooling; I only have an AIO Corsair H100i.

Would it be possible? Yes.

Would his temps be that great? Eh, depends on if he used a universal block or a full-cover GPU block on his GPU.

get some SP140s and you'll be fine, might have to run them at or near 12v to get optimal temps

which means noisy.....

i had a similar issue with my 965, i bought the antec AIO a few years ago and haven't had an issue since. if the card isn't having issues, he could just leave it alone unless he has the money/curiosity to put it together

An h70 will keep an overclocked 7970 under 55c full load, and they can be found for under 50 bucks used.

Keep in mind the 79x cards have a recessed core, so besides the bracket/zipties you also need ramsinks and a way to cool the VRMS. I actually cut off the bottom portion of the stock cooler and removed the blower fan to use the plate for VRM cooling, it works great. You can still put it back together and use as a stock cooler as well in a pinch.

Just build a dual loop if thats what he wants to do. There's easy ways to do it, but its not as fun as the DIY.

I run 2 120.2 thermochills in 1 loop for a i5-2500k and a gtx 480. Excellent temps. No point in making 2 loops unless you are a temp whore.

Back